Seacock corrosion / trail to repair? Trailing S27s

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Seacock corrosion / trail to repair? Trailing S27s

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Clarkmikej
United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 : 18:48:36 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Send Clarkmikej a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
Sabredance of Oare's fitment that takes cooling water to the engine from what looks like an original (early 1970s) seacock corroded at the ring fixing it to the seacock and came away in my hand, fortunately after I had shut the valve. As this still leaked slightly I fitted a ½ brass cap (from local canalboat chandlers). Am aware this needs to be replaced by bronze (pdq) or horrible electrochemical reactions will destroy the cap / do other damage. My Marcon Sabre hull is no. 243. Was a particular model of seacock used about 1973? If possible I’d like to replace the corroded fitment so the engine can be used. The rest of the seacock looks pretty grotty but I am not brave enough to attempt a through hull replacement, especially on the slipway between tides. I see that some Sabres have road trailers. One option would be buy, hire or borrow one, and something permitted to tow it (Landrover Discovery and Defenders seem to be permitted, but I don’t think my 1999 5m Citroen Relay camper would be allowed to) and then take it to a boatyard for the work, engine service etc. to be done. That would also allow trailer touring in future. Alternatively I could take it 2 hours up the very tidal Ribble to Preston Boatyard, but I’d rather not do that on the (back up) outboard. Any advice on seacock specifications, where to get replacement fitments such as the one that failed and on changing seacocks would be welcome. As would news of any experience in towing Sabres, and of roadworthy trailers that might be available to buy, hire or borrow.

Mike Clark mclark@uclan.ac.uk
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 : 21:05:22
Hi Mike, Sabre Dance's original seacock would most probably have been manufactured by Stuart Turner, long deceased. Then by Fairways Marine who have also now gone, so no more of these great seacocks I'm afraid. You will have to use a through hull fitting and whatever seacock you find suits your purpose and pocket. There are a number available, all plastic. You generally get what you pay for!

Trailers. A Sabre on a ‘legal’ trailer will weigh more than can be legally towed by a Land/ Range Rover as far as I understand. One of our members has recent first hand experience of this. Not for the ‘Faint hearted'! You may have a contact from him via this forum. If not, contact me directly and I will arrange as required.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 : 23:06:44
I had my bilge keel Sabre brought home on a low loader and restored it while on its trailer. I then towed it forty miles to the coast and have since sold the trailer to help pay for my resoration. Although my Landrover TD5 could pull it easily, the combined weight of boat and trailer made roll over braking (ie the sort you have on most small trailers/caravans) quite a challenge with the tail wagging the dog so to speak. Legally speaking there is an upper limit to the towing capacity of any vehicle (on my Landrover it was 3.5 tonnes). I did not test mine on a weigh bridge but suspect the combined weight was a tad heavy! My experience and advice is that long distance trailing is NOT realistic. Trailer shunting from boat yard down to the local crane is a different prospect. In fact last spring, a friend borrowed my trailer and pulled his Sabre with a tractor from the local farm where he had winter storage down to the boat yard - total distance of about three miles. Ideal, any further probably not such a good idea.
Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER
Keyhaven Yacht Club

2E0YFO
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2012 : 22:25:40
I can confirm, that the only way to legally tow a Sabre is with a vehicle fitted with "power brakes" so your standard Land Rover Defender/Discovery/Range Rover is not legal! (unless you have a 250kg* trailer) Shunting is very possible with most 3500gvw 4x4s. Sabres on trailer with inertia brakes on the road is unadvisable.
*with quoted Sabre displacement.

All this said, towing a boat of this size is not the easiest thing, be very careful of HGV's, as the draw off the trailers could end in tears! I would also advise a stabiliser bar.

Malc.

boat:- hole in water you pour money into!

Latrigg. '89.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================