Ice Box Bin/ Liner Removal - Is it possible?

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Ice Box Bin/ Liner Removal - Is it possible?

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Charles
United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 : 19:09:38 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Send Charles a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
Hi

Can anyone help with some advice please.

I am restoring recently acquired Cupar O'Fife and would like to know if anyone has removed the ice box/bin below the sink unit to offer some guidance of how to go about it.
The idea is to cut out the sink/ice box top to be replaced with a sink drainer whilest also making more space for a cupboard below by reoving the 'bin' liner.
I would like to know if anyone has removed the 'lining' bin beneath and if so can you give guidance how difcult this might be, how to go about it and how is it held in (if glued where are the fixing points)

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Charles
yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2012 : 22:47:58
Charles, I used a small angle grinder and cut everything out including a lot of the internal moulding. Go carefully and wear a dust mask at all times. Now we have a lot more cupboard space.
Good luck with the project.

GEoff (Cariona)

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2012 : 11:32:26
Hi Charles,

We didn’t fancy trying to cut all the grp and foam out, so we left it there and built a top access ‘food can cupboard’, a front access slide out rubbish bin with slide out cutlery drawer over it, and a drop-down front access, bread bin. The worktop has a removable ‘fiddle rail’ for when heeled or rolling.

A great deal of work, but all has proved most satisfactory for the last 25 years.

I have sent you a couple of pictures to give a general idea. If you require further info, you know where I am.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2012 : 17:03:23
Hi

Has anyone got pictures please?

Thanks

Ian

Kind Regards

Jo and Ian
Apogee, Tollesbury

Charles
United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2012 : 19:30:36 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send Charles a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Thanks you for all the very useful comments.

Can anyone remember where the 'securing/glue' points are or is it help in place being part of the moulded unit and just fixed in by the top ednges under the sink?
If so is it best to cut the top edges free and then cut the bin in large sections to remove?

Thanks once again

Charles

Simon Hayes
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2012 : 19:50:56
Hi. I removed mine.. messy job. I went in from the top with a grinder and/or electric fretsaw thigy, and from the front. The top hole was nearly the size of the worksurface but with an edge of about 1" to support a new worksurface made of ply plus a kitchen laminte type finish. In the front I made an exploratory hole then enlarged it to about 30" wide by 18"dep once I cold see where I was going. The old cool box was part of the innner liner with expanding foam around it, adding to the mess. It was a bit fiddly where the rear of th col box blends with the underneath of the work surface so I had to nibble away at it. Once it's all out there is quite a nice big void and then one has to set to with cabinet making tyoe skills to do something with it. I've ot a rubbish bin, a drawer and a cupoboard there now.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 : 12:29:43
I also took ours out. Its a sub moulding bonded into the inner moulding then foamed in place with two pack foam. As has been said its a very messy job involving an angle grinder with diamond cutting wheel & lots of dust then its chop the foam out in lots of little bits. The old drain pipework underneath was filled with unidentifiable brown sludge that smelt bad as well. wear a good mask & Enjoy!

Charles
United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 : 16:47:57 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send Charles a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Many thanks for all the advice and help.

Sounds like a job for Christmas Day !

Charles

Charles
United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 : 12:26:28 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send Charles a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Just to update and for the 'knowledge' archives I found a tool called a Bosch Rotozip which is like a small hand router.
Knowing the moulding points from you comments I was able to easily route out the top on the moulding and cut the ice box up into removable parts (with a bit of pulling!).

Whole job took 1 to 1.5 hrs and with a vacuum nozzle on the router dust was kept to a minimum.

Charles
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================