Ebespacher heater or other

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Ebespacher heater or other

Post by Sabre27Admin »

johnle
United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 : 16:09:34
I had a very interesting chat with Paul Howard on the above,has anyone else fitted one themselves and if so where in the boat did you put it,does it work, what is the drain on the battery . As you can see I have not had one of these before
Edited by - johnle on 17/04/2012 16:44:41
Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 : 18:14:48
I've got one...it lives on the port side of the engine room. It pulls air from the stbd quarterberth locker (by the berth, not the cockpit locker) and vents it out the companionway steps (my steps are a lot smaller and less obtrusive than most).

It pulls a lot of power on startup and then settles down to a couple of amps. It is very good, if a little noisy in the cabin, something that some sound deadening in the engine room would sort out.

Cheers

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 : 20:20:43
I have an eberspacher on Sailmaker, fitted by previous owner. located in cockpit locker, hot air piped into main cabin.
Works ok, however wil only start when i have the engin erunning, otherwise, fan makes usual noise but burner does not fire up...is this normal....I presume not......Any thoughts from anyone

Thanks

Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 : 15:45:21 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Tony, are your electrics in good health? Inability to start without the engine running may be down to a poor connection that can't handle the amps required to ignite. This won't show up if you disconnect the heater to test the voltage, you will need to try firing it up with a voltmeter over the terminals. If the voltage drops more than a few 0.1's of a volt, I would suspect a poor connection somewhere. If on the other hand it's something inside the box I'm clueless...

I have a Taylors paraffin heater on board, mounted on the bulkhead just over the settee to the Starboard of the door. This requires no electrickery to run, although I mounted a fan next to it to distribute the warm air better. It works very nicely, but installing it was an interesting challenge due to the angle of the deck at this point - solved with a hardwood wedge.

Nothing - absolute nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

http://sunflythesabre.wordpress.com

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 : 08:36:57
For chilly weather in spring and autumn we have found that a couple of oil lamps provide ample heat. The important factor is the wick size and both of ours have one inch wicks. Therefore the combined output is roughly the same as a Valor paraffin stove of the type that was once popular in building site offices and which had a two inch wick. We find that the radiant heat from the flames has a significant efect upon coziness and we generally operate them with the hatch partly open. We have never noticed a problem with paraffin smell, although some people prefer to use lamp oil. The older lamp has been in use on three of our boats over about 39 years and is still on its original wick. No problems with electricity and the only maintenance is occasional brass polishing, although it is senible to carry a spare lamp glass in case of accidents.

2E0YFO
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2012 : 12:18:24
On latrigg, I have fitted an Eberspacher D2, It's home is in the rear of the engine compartment, I found there is too much heat loss to have it in the cockpit locker. It draws air from the starboard quarter bunk, the warm pipe runs under the galley, with 3 vents to heat the interior. This seems to work well.

Problems while at start-up are usually down to low voltage or lack of fuel, the diagnostics for all heaters are comprehensive and easy to follow/understand. There are several diagnostic controllers, I would highly recommend that you buy one, they save hours of trial & error diagnostics! I can put up the diagnostic codes if anyone wants them?

Malc.

boat:- hole in water you pour money into!

Latrigg. '89.

Bobster
United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2012 : 10:55:21
Hi Keith, I have to echo your thoughts,on board Sea Sharp we have a Taylors heater plus a couple of oil lamps and unless it's one of those really cold nights the lamps do just fine.
Bobster.

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 : 07:23:03
I have recently fitted a D2 in the starboard locker, exhaust out through the transom. The cold air intake is in the Stb quarterberth and the warm air pipes run under the starboard quarter berth and vent near the front of the cabin. I fitted a 2nd outlet in the heads area to warm the forepeak area.

I noticed some drain on the battery, but once it gets up to temperature it is minimal. It has been a real luxury on cold winter evenings.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================