Stack packs and sprayhoods

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Stack packs and sprayhoods

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 : 13:40:21
Time to treat Summer Girl to a stack pack and a sprayhood, and I'm wondering who people recommend to make them.

The various options on Stack-packs (or call them what you will!) look fairly similar to be honest, although the sample Arun offering at the boat show looked very nicely made with zippered sections for the reefing lines to run through.

Sprayhoods do seem to vary in design, I guess what I'm really after is the following:

-Good shelter where it counts but not too big and bulky...easy access to the side decks would be good. We're often sailing 4 up so loosing half the cockpit would not be ideal.

-The ability to "add" to it later...I like the C&J zippered "door" and handrail, available at any time (same as Black Fox)

-Good visibility (I actually like to helm sat on the very forward edge of the cockpit coaming in front of the primary winches)

-Easy to fold it down. I have a feeling that unless we're going upwind in a fair bit of breeze it may end up getting folded out the way quite a bit, so it would be nice if it's easy to do this.

-Coachroof winching...I have not carried out this modification yet, but I do intend to, so something that will work OK with winches and clutches would be good too.

Any views gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

Iain
nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 : 19:10:45 nickbd's nickbd's
I'm also thinking about a new sprayhood - but possibly about making one rather than having one made... a recipe for disaster, no doubt.

Does anyone have a sample pattern I might be able to work from? I'd rather not dismantle my existing one just in case the new one doesn't work out as expected...

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel
Yanmar YSE 12

Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 : 22:50:59
Hi

Does anyone have experience of http://www.martexmarine.com/ - I am thinking of a new sprayhood too, with one of those nice stainless handholds at the back. I know that Martex do the whole kit and caboodle except that you have to sew up the bottom yourself - for me it would also replace my frame which is just galvanised steel and pretty awful, does not fold up easily either.
It would be great to hear if anyone has dealt with Martex.

Best to all.

Peter O'Donnell - Sanda Isle

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 : 10:42:17
The Martex one certainly looks good value, however the finish and fit does not seem to be anywhere near the C&J version. Bearing in mind the one shown on their website was probably finished to a far better standard than someone like me could achieve, the windows look very crinkly and the cloth does not look taught either. But granted that's a big saving £s wise!

Lottie
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 : 11:28:43
We fitted a Martex hood (Trident owners are cheapskates). I would say the fabric part of the hood was better made than the three I have previously owned and is wearing extremely well (six years old - but always removed for the winter). I can't compare it with other contemporary offerings but it was less than half the fitted price quoted by nearby makers. But I have noticed prices vary dramatically round the country and a hood is normally a local buy since they usually involve one or two visits by the sailmaker to fit and that adds to the cost. Martex cuts this cost out by:

1. Sending you the frame which you get the chance to fit and adjust to precisely the positioning, height and rake you want.

2. You then send them two crucial dimensions (the max spacings between the bars) and they make a cover to suit the shape you have created.

3. As said above by others, you then have to trim and hem it round the bottom to fit and fix it down with press studs, lift-the-dots or WHY. And fit bridges for straps to the cockpit coaming which set it all up nice and taught.

We didn't find this difficult - the acrylic canvas sews easily on our domestic sewing machine - even several thicknesses on the seams. But I guess it depends how handy you are at canvas work.

Martex recommend a three-rail system with the bottom rail just above the coach roof. This is said to make it easy to lead ropes back to the cockpit under the hood. Our hood drops easily (you just release the two cockpit straps).

I can e-mail pics and and article I wrote to anyone interested but the Martex website pretty much covers it.

One thing I would say is that hoods tend to involve compromises - you want low and sleek but don't want to have to limbo into the cabin. And how much space there is to cower under it at the front of the cockpit depends on the height and shape of the frame. A semicircular one looks sleek but the radius may allow less space for head and shoulders than a more squared off bulkier-looking frame.

On the stackpack, I bought matching acrylic to make my own but chickened out/ran out of time and got Kemp to make me their Packaway - £355 (with discount) well spent I thought (and my guess is the Trident boom is longer than the Sabre: E= 11.41 - that's feet).

But don't let them sell you the lazy jack kit which costs and arm and a leg and includes all sorts of unnecessary blocks and things. String and two nylon fairleads positioned three quarters of the way up the mast cost next to nothing and work perfectly well.

Hope this of some help.

Lottie
United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 : 12:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by nickbd

I'm also thinking about a new sprayhood - but possibly about making one rather than having one made... a recipe for disaster, no doubt.

Does anyone have a sample pattern I might be able to work from? I'd rather not dismantle my existing one just in case the new one doesn't work out as expected...

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel
Yanmar YSE 12

Me again I'm afraid. What you say you don't want to do, Nick, is exactly what I'd recommend. On our previous boat (Westerly Konsort - hood like a small marquee) I made a new sprayhood cover by taking apart the old one and using the parts as patterns to cut new ones. Take note how the bits all fit together as you take them apart and where the old hood wore in case you need to add some friction patches. I was even able to use all the old fittings, webbing etc so all it cost was a few metres of acrylic canvas and a bit of window material. The trickiest bit is sewing in the windows as the plasticky stuff slips under the foot of the sewing machine and you can't pin it in place like fabric. Sewing through a layer of tissue paper helps. Naturally you remove it afterwards. Courage Nick. If I can do it anyone can.

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 : 17:56:55
Before finalising your ideas on the design of a new sprayhood, I suggest taking a close look at the article in Rattling Sabres Issue 52. In my experience, it is a good idea to have a hood extending well aft, giving a doghouse effect for wet conditions. On 'London Apprentice', we achieved that by buying a 3-frame hood and mounting it 20cm futher aft than intended. It gives good shelter (Photo 3 in the article) but partly obstructs the hatch when it is folded down. In Photos 4,5&6, note the ingenious mechanism on 'Likedeeler', where the hinge points slide forward on tracks. That allows a hood that is fairly low and sleek, yet long enough to cover the large Sabre hatch and extend aft over part of the cockpit, and which will slide/fold right forward without obstructing the hatch.

Another snag with the Sabre is that there is no curved breakwater, so the leading edge of the hood must be fixed to various points on the coachroof and the forward panel may not stretch to a smooth shape. On 'Shadowfax' (Photo 2) there is a additional lower frame, close to the coachroof, which substitutes for the curve of a breakwater and helps to create a smooth curve in the window panels. It sounds as if the Martex system is similar. However, a Sabre might need 3 rails for the roof of the hood and a fourth rail close to the coachroof. I am in the process of buying a new hood covering but I am also fitting stainless tubes to form a 'fourth rail' close above the hatch. That should make it easier for the hood maker to achieve a good fit.

Sorry to introduce complications, but in foul conditions a long hood is invaluable. We feel sorry for folks who have to squash against the bulkhead, in order to hide behind their hood, and cannot get underneath its lip for better shelter.

Ken

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 : 22:18:46
Thanks for the advice all...on the basis of looking at the very nice setup on Black Fox, and very competitve pricing, I went for C&J. It is quite a big hood, but people are quite right...when it's down, it's out the way, and if you want it up, you want as much shelter as possible!

Andreou
United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 : 21:07:13
Iain,

Did you get a pack away lazy jack system?
Was it one that zips up to hold the main on the boom?
Can you reccomend one for a Sabre 27?
How much did you pay etc?

Kind regards
Andreou

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 : 23:05:35
Hi Andreou

Yes, I went for the C&J version but I have not fitted it yet. Quality looks very good and I'll take some pictures when I install it.

Cheers

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 : 18:58:34
Andreou

All fitted as per pictures below. The pack a main was a doddle to fit, climbing the mast was the biggest issue obviously!

The sprayhood fits very well and it's a nice size and shape for the boat. In fairness it's actually back with C&J at the moment for some tweaks, it's a bit tight over the hatch, and they forgot the coachroof winching flaps. But they have been very helpful and I guess it's to be expected on what is an old design now. Instructions weren't the best if I'm honest, some new pictures would help (and I'll send them some!) but the written bits were very clear and every fixing and fastener was supplied in sealed bags.

I have to say the pack-a-main is a work of genius and makes things so much easier!

(Yes, the genoa UV strip is next on the list!)

Edited by - Iain C on 20/04/2010 19:07:01

Steve West
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 : 12:20:04
I am thinking of fitting a Martex sprayhood kit (model 17) to Sandusky. Has anyone fitted one of these kits to a Sabre 27?

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 : 14:16:32
I fitted a Martex spray hood to my previous boat (Elizabethan 23. The quality was very good, although I did cheat and got someone locally to do the finishing for me! The extra work cost £75 which was well worth it as far as I am concerned. After 3 years it is still in excellent condition, but I did remove it each winter.

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian

Steve West
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 : 13:27:40
I have purchased and fitted a Martex sprayhood, it cost £400 including a new stainless steel frame, but you have to cut, fit and sew the bottom edge yourself. It is time consuming if you are inexperienced in fabric work, but it can be sewn with a domestic sewing machine. The quotes for a new purpose-made, fitted hood and frame from others was in the region of £ 800 to £ 1,100 see photo below

Andreou
United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 : 23:24:34
Thanks iain she looks the business, have had a recent new gel coat there?

Andreou

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 : 09:29:02
No...just paint...

Andreou
United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 : 20:36:18
quote:
Originally posted by Iain C

No...just paint...

what kind of paint?

to the hull?

andreou

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 : 12:16:26
quote:
Originally posted by Steve West

I have purchased and fitted a Martex sprayhood, ....

We fitted a Martek sparyhood some 9-10 years ago and it is still going strong (has had minor repairs) but we are now finding that some of the materials used, such as the binding tapes etc, were not UV resistant and are giving up/crumbling. The webbing straps were changed a few years back for this reason.

Overall, it is still good value but you do get what you pay for. As ever.

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 : 19:12:29
I have gone for a stackpack from C&J, hopefully picking it up when I am down that way on my RYA Coastal at end of February. Their price was a lot less than the local sailmaker.

I just need to find a volunteer to climb the mast to rivet the lazjack blocks on now. At 16st I am frightened my weight might capsize the thing.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================