Drying out against a harbour wall

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Drying out against a harbour wall

Post by Sabre27Admin »

SteveV
United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 : 18:56:18
something I never got taught on courses, probably too scared of damaging their boats. In the Bristol Channel it seems it would give me a few extra places to stop off at.

So is it something Sabres do well, do the balance ok on their keels or is it best avoided?

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 : 22:58:59
Hi Steve,

Fin Sabres are well balanced for drying out against a wall, providing all the normal procedures are adhered to. Do your homework diligently, three and a half tons sitting on a tapered, not flat keel base will require firm and stable ground.

Practice on easy, well known places before venturing far afield.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 : 09:04:08
Remember to ensure she leans gently into the wall but not so far that the shrouds come under pressure. Fin keel Sabres sit bow down so an 'up-slope' is helpful.

One other point, often forgotten, is working out how you'll get off the boat once she's down safely. Learnt that one the hard way.

NR
Huzzah

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 : 10:25:21 nickbd's nickbd's
I found the whole thing very stressful... but in the end the boat was very well balanced and I needn't have worried. Hard ground is essential though - I used a purpose-built drying out platform which won't be the norm.

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel, Yanmar YSE 12
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================