Mast gate

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Mast gate

Post by Sabre27Admin »

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2013 : 14:40:09
Good Afternoon.
I have an old Kemp mast on Cariona, probably 1973 vintage.
When I acquired it, it did not have a gate for stopping the mainsail luff slugs from falling out of the, mast so I made something up out off stainless steel, which has worked reasonably well up to now. Unfortunately this has become loose interfering with the movement of the mainsail when lowering and raising. I wonder if something like the original gate is still available? Any other ideas from Sabre owners welcome.
NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 : 11:47:44
We just have a small hole with a split pin in it to stop the sail falling out. Split pin has a tether made of small diameter cord.

Has been in use for many, many years and cannot go wrong.

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2013 : 19:48:08
Do I detect we are talking chalk and cheese here? If anybody does have a pattern/template for a mast gate as per the Cariona enquiry, I too would be interested.

Thanks

Rory

SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2013 : 12:03:29
Hi Guys,
I will send you both pictures and enough dimensions to manufacture a new mast gate and butterfly securing screw. DIY will be challenging for the amateur, but a pro should have little problem, if he is provided with an appropriate ‘section drawing’ of the mast.
If needed you know where to find me.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 : 11:09:52
Many thanks for your replies. I look forward to the pictures Paul.

GEoff
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================