Anodes

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Anodes

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 : 19:49:16
Hi,
Does anyone know anything about needing to have anodes on a sabre? I have just got a brand new shiny prop and dont like the thought of it erroding away like the last one.
Thanks
robbyc0
United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 : 22:22:23
Err ... yes you need at least one anode, near the stern, with an electrical connection prfereably to the prop shaft or at least the gearbox/ engine. Otherwise your prop won;t last very long...

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 : 23:48:18
Hi Mike,
In salt water like Southampton protection is vital!

Go to M G Duff's website http://www.mgduff.co.uk/leisure-craft/f ... nding.html and have a good look around. You will find everything you need to know including fitting.

If you have a rubber coupling between shaft and gearbox you will need the 'Electro Eliminator Number 1' for a good contact onto the shaft and so back to the prop.

The prop tube with its Cutlass bearing holder also need connecting into the circuit as they will most probably be isolated from the prop and gearbox.

Isn't boat ownership a bundle of fun?

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 : 20:53:15
Hi paul,
that looks good but at £70 a little more than i was hoping to spend. is there no other way of connecting to a normal anode or a shaft anode?
After having InshaAllah lifted out this weekend i have noticed lots of little "rust" spots on the prop from it not being protected.
Thanks again
Mike

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 : 20:03:46 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
mike
my anode is attached to the engine and gearbox as i have no rubber couplings it seems to work and just eats the anode away which i replace every year you could put an anode on your shaft mg duffs have them in there brochure
dave smith gentle nimbus

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 : 09:30:10
quote:
Originally posted by sabre27

If you have a rubber coupling between shaft and gearbox you will need the 'Electro Eliminator Number 1' for a good contact onto the shaft and so back to the prop.

The prop tube with its Cutlass bearing holder also need connecting into the circuit as they will most probably be isolated from the prop and gearbox.

Paul,

I had a Cutlass 27 and now a Sabre 27 and neither has/had any electrical connections for the anode.

Neither has either of them had what I would call 'problems'.

The Sabre, at 36 years old, needed a new cutlass bearing but at this age it is hardly surprising, I suggest.

The anode is changed regularly and all the underwater stuff is checked at lift out, but in 30+ years boating I can't say I've had any issues. And the Surveyor (who I feel is trustworthy) has not mentioned it, either when I bought HUZZAH, or since then, when he's checked the boat.

So what is going on here? Why are we not plagued with rotting props etc every couple of years? Is all the malarkey really necessary?

Ian Kilpatrick
United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 : 15:03:08
I had a new folding prop with an electrical wire from the gearbox side of the drive to the shaft side of the drive. We picked up a huge piece of industrial plastic on the prop and the strain on the rubber joint (between shaft and gear box) was such that it broke the wire. In the next 9 weeks the prop had started to de-zincefy and when tapped gave off a dull thunk! I only discovered it when I hauled out.We now have two thicker wires across the rubber

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 : 17:29:40
Thanks for your replys so far,
It must depend on your location then because after only 12months my brand new prop has already started to decay (covered in small rust pitting).

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 : 19:49:41
Hi Guys,
I thought this would get interesting!

My Sabre Corsair has been moored in fresh water, all her 38 years of life, and has never had an anode fitted. The prop is 20 years old and still rings when tapped. Down river in Poole harbour things are entirely different!

Over the years I have heard so many differing accounts about electrolysis that I have concluded that it is all a bit of a 'Black Art' and the best course of action is to follow the lead of other boats close by. (Those that still have prop etc. intact!)

tokomaru111
United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 : 21:33:49
I bought my Sabre 27 twelve months ago and noticed slight dezincification on the prop, there is an anode but it looked brand new, obviously not doing it's job. I found it was not connected electrically to the prop. Since I rectified this the anode is showing signs of erosion. I used the expensive brush device to complete the connection.
Ron

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 : 18:05:08 nickbd's nickbd's
Hello. This is the current state of my anode after about four years in the Solent - about £26. My prop is unscathed except for the inevitable buildup of growth. I was told today that once the anode gets to about 50% eroded I should replace it - is this good advice? Does this one look like it has another couple of years, or is it time to get another?

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel
Yanmar YSE 12

Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 : 21:09:11
No Nick - so long as there is zinc there all is well - give it a good wire brush off to bare metal - make sure the bolts are connecting to it rather than insulating it - use vaseline if you need to to keep the connection good (just like a car battery). another two years on there I should guess.

Best regards to all.

Peter O'Donnell - Sanda Isle

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 : 14:06:08 nickbd's nickbd's
Many thanks Peter

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel
Yanmar YSE 12

robbyc0
United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2013 : 14:02:16
A prop shaft anode is very cheap, very easy to fix and guaranteed to have a good electrical connection to the prop! My main anode does not geat eaten, but my prop one got almost demolished in 1 year. Doing its job!!!! 1" shaft anode about £8 - just bolt on between prop and the top hat.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2013 : 17:50:30
I have just the one anode. It is not connected to the engine or stern gear. Erosion of the anode is very slow and i have no problems with the stern gear or prop.
As a boatbuilder for many years i have seen more problems caused by bonding everything together with wires internally than not!
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================