Rubbing strake

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Rubbing strake

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Minerva
United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2014 : 22:18:22
Has anybody any experience with the new plastic rubbing strakes, or have recently replaced with wood. Minerva has many patches and sections damaged and could do with it being replaced. Any help, advice is appreciated :)
Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 : 12:38:28
Hi Minerva,
I am currently having half of one of my rubbing strakes replaced and can give you details on this if you need it.

Minerva
United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 : 22:23:42
Yes please. I will be looking to replace them next winter so want to know my options.

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2014 : 12:38:35
Well they are very easy to remove / replace as they are only held on by screws under the teak plugs.
The hardest part of replacing is getting the timber as teak is very expensive these days.
Below costs give you some idea (This is cost for front starboard half so will need to times by 4 for full boat cost)
Supply wood only machined to correct profile was around £500
To have it done by a yard including lifting boat, removing old, making and fitting new and then relaunch was just over £2000.
I can supply a picture of the profile if you give me your email address.
Hope this helps

Castoffs
France
30 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2014 : 16:46:49 Castoffs's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I'm going to replace a section of Scarab's this summer due to damage on the French canals. I'll try and source a square section of teak, profile it by hand, screw it down and plug the screws (I've bought the teak plugs already!). I'll let you know how I get on.

Here's the before pic:

http://www.castoffs.eu/images/P1010247.JPG

How can 6 fenders and a plank not be enough?
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================