Prop Bearing

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Prop Bearing

Post by Sabre27Admin »

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 : 13:50:43
Ok boys and girls, whats involved in repairing the prop tail bearing. I assume its not a job to be tackled with flippers and mask.
The stuffing box and all that stuff inside is ok ie a slow drip when running the engine.
Tighting up the rope cutter is no longer working and the rattle is getting a bit of a pain on the videoing. oh you got to have a laugh, no truer work said in jest.

Why do we have to have two of everthing on boat, one where it should go and one for where she thinks it should go. If you can't find it you might as well not have it. Pass me another can.

I'm having a good day, regards Ken
roy tall
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 : 10:03:05
Hi Ken,
It sounds like its the cutless bearing worn. To test it you need to get hold of the prop give it a shake if there is a fair bit of movement the bearing needs to be replaced.This means the prop to come off,shaft to taken fwd,to clear cutless bearing housing,Remove cutless bearing housing,to make the job easier,grub screw to be removed (if fitted) cutless bearing drifted out new one pushed in (the right size for shaft) if to long just chop it off a bit. If you have a white metal bearing different kettle of fish. Meanwhile pump the stern tube full of grease till the next lift out.
I belive Fairways Marine do replacment bearings or most marine engineers will point you in the right direction.
If your prop bearing is OK it could be rudder bearings or a bit of both, still needs the lift out!
Roy

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 : 10:55:41
Hi Ken,

Go to your Handbook / Stern Gear / Cutlass Bearing Holder ‘Landing’. The text and pics will give you a good overall understanding of what you need to do.

Remove the prop and cutters / unscrew the two countersunk set screws / unscrew the Bearing Holder anticlockwise / take it to your local marine engineer who will press out the old bearing and press in a new one. Shaft size is one inch.

When replacing the holder make sure the ‘Landing’ is OK, put a smear of underwater sealer on it and do not over tighten the screws!

While you have the prop off, I recommend you have it checked to ensure it is profiled and balanced properly.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 : 17:18:35
Hi
There is ample sideways movment on the propshaft, at least 1/16inch, although the bearing housing does not move.
When sailing in neutral it rattles, put it in gear it stops. Thats with the engine NOT running. Not rudder rattle, although there in ample movement in that also.
Ok have read up on the Handbook and will have to have a look at it when it comes out.

So there are greasing niples in the bearing housing, I geuss there under the rope cutter sleave, bril!.
Anybody used standard Oilite bearing as a replacement. Can get 1" ID 1 1/4 OR 1 1/2 OD and up to 2" long. Could bang 2 in one after the other.
Many thanks Paul and Roy. Sorry for the delay in replying as have been on the boat.

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2014 : 19:34:26
Up date to what happened.
Rattle was the rope cutter. It must have come loose, as it jammed and stopped the engine in the Medway, just opposite the gas terminal
Really interesting and well worth experiencing but I wouldn't want to do it again.
The relief when you find its not the engine.
When she was lifted out, half the rope cutter was missing, probably why the problem went away!!.
The play in the Cutlass bearing was due to the top screw of the housing being missing. After replacing screw there was less than .5mm play, well pleased. It is a proper Cutlass bearing, being rubber in a brass sleeve and water lubricated.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================