Twin Keel

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Twin Keel

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Zhill
Saint Croix
4 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2015 : 19:09:32
Hello, I am new to this forum (actually to forums in general.) I am wondering if someone could give me a fairly accurate measurement of the distance from keel to keel (outside edges) for purposes of trailering. I am trying to purchase a '71 Sabre 27 and very excited to get it home, but need to bring the right trailer, as it is a 6 hour drive. I hope to be a new owner and member of your association very soon. Thanks so much.
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2015 : 22:09:01
This is from a reliable scorce.

Measurements for the Twin keels are:
At their widest (ie outside edge to outside edge) 77 inches
Inside edge to inside edge at the bottom 66 inches
Therefore max width of keel bottom 11 inches
Length of keel Shoes 60 inches

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Zhill
Saint Croix
4 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2015 : 17:35:02
Thank you very much for this info. I did eventually find the dimensions for a cradle on the last page of the Build Sequence Documents, but the precise measurements are more reassuring. I also found a picture (of Smuggler) that showed it loaded facing backward on a trailer; I could see how the weight of the engine being more on the tongue of the trailer would be beneficial, would this be a correct assumption? Any other advice for trailering would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2015 : 21:17:02
The following is the advice of someone who has done this before, he knows what he is talking about.

Having trailed SMUGGLER, the most important thing is brakes! Overrun brakes (as on caravans and light trailers) are not adequate for the combined weight of the boat and heavy trailer which in my case I would guess was 4.5 tons. In addition the loaded trailer took control of even quite a heavy car and maximum safe speed was 35 mph. I am jolly glad I did not have to do an emergency stop! I would certainly not have undertaken a long road journey.

When I first purchased SMUGGLER, I put the trailer and boat on a low loader - much safer.

Where is home, UK? where is this Sabre and what is she named?

Zhill
Saint Croix
4 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2015 : 02:06:06
I live in Arkansas (USA) and the boat is in Texas. The name of the boat is Fandango (presently), and was sailed over many years ago from the UK by a navy captain who was the original owner. This is info from the second and present owner, and he has documentation of this that I have yet to see.

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2015 : 09:39:18 nickbd's nickbd's
I've just added photos to the post, provided by Rory.

==============
Nick B-D
webmaster@sabre27.org.uk
http://sabre27.org.uk
http://www.tinstar.co.uk

Zhill
Saint Croix
4 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2015 : 18:07:53
Thank you both for the information. This will be quite an undertaking, but with the right equipment should be straightforward enough. I am mostly concerned with the condition of the two keels and that they are still strong enough to fully support the weight of the boat. Just to be safe, I will probably add extra support.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2015 : 20:29:54
No problem with the keels. they are immensely strong and will withstand virtually anything you can do to them. If you knock lumps out of them, just glass them up again, you will not break them!

=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================