To dip or not to dip, that is the question

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

To dip or not to dip, that is the question

Post by Sabre27Admin »

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2014 : 21:29:34
Spinnaker flying
I have always used sheets and Barbarhaulers (tweekers for our American friends) but this year i'm going to try seperate sheets and guys (easyer to gibe in more wind).
To dip or not to dip, that is the question. Foreguy at the bow or downhaul at the mast base? Snatch block on the pole end?
To bridle or not to bridle?
So many questions, I can see that I may get tied up in string here.
Has anyone been here and done it? I would be very interested in their views.
My letter to Santa for 2 hydrolically collapsible poles operated from buttons in the cockput didn't arrive.
Regards ken
NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 : 12:33:56
Wow, no Sabre users fly a spinnaker?

When crewing a race boat we had lazy sheets each side and could dip the pole through the foretriangle, because the size of pole and position of the forestay was right.

On "Huzzah", the pole is too big for this and we end-for-end it, changing the rope in the jaw as we go. As we rarely jibed when cruising this saved a lot of rope messing about, but two ropes per side would have made it easier.

The biggest factor in all this is likely to be the down and uphauls. With end-for-ending the pole it's likely to need less adjusting once 'set' but then spinnaker tweaking is an art form, no?

Edited by - NPMR on 24/01/2015 12:36:56

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2015 : 10:46:28
Hi
Many thank for that, I think end to end looks simpler as you say no adjusting of the pole and less string.
With seperate sheets/ and guys how did you attach the sheet and guy to the tack/clew. I was thingking of tying both onto the same snap shaclkle and clipping it into the tack/clew, or bowlines all round?
For anyone interested in my Spinnaker, the foot is 19ft and the leech is 26ft and looks like a Star Cut.
If anyone is interested in setting up a spinnaker rig on the sabre I could put together some instruction.

A good read for the single handed sailor is "A Fools Muse" by Andrew Evens can be downloaded from the web.

Do you get moaned at when melting rope end on the electric cooker ring, I find level 4 to be best.

Regards Ken

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2015 : 11:12:00
I cannot recall exactly how the two ropes attached to the spinnaker but they were separate, so were attached and removed independantly - so I'm guessing with snap shackles.

There's a picture of "Huzzah" with a spinnaker flying (OK a bit small) on the advert for the boat on the SOA27 web site, if that helps.

N
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================