Rigging Tension

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Rigging Tension

Post by Sabre27Admin »

seasidebob
United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 : 13:57:00
Hi. Apologies if I have missed this topic in the handbook but what is the accepted wisdom on rigging tension?

My last boat was a Hurley 22, a model that has a tendency to mast compression, and the "standard" for the shrouds was 4 inches of movement at head height which was always a bit slacker than I liked it.

The last owner of my Sabre 27 preferred the rigging on the slack side; what do other owners do?

Many thanks
Bob Doughty

Abijak
United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 : 15:07:53
What I tend to do, and I'm sure others will have different techniques is to set the rigging up, generally tension, checking looking up the mast track to ensure the mast is straight. A little bend aft using a combination of the backstay and forward lowers. Aft lowers locking off the forward lowers. Then off for a sail, preferably an F3 to F4, closehauled. I then wind the leeward shrouds in so there is no slack, tack do the same on the opposite side, check the straightness of the mast again and tweek as necessary.

I don't have a lot of deflection in the shrouds at all, and quite a bit of tension in the back stay to get the forestay tight.

Works for me! Neutral helm, with a smidgeon of weather helm when beating in to a breeze.

Cheers
Chris.

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 : 18:32:38
Hi
If you have a slight deformation in the GRP on the left vertical side of the head door frame, this is the first sign of too much pressure on the mast. Can be caused by over tightening the baby stay if you have one.
I totally agree with Abijak, should have no slak on the leeward side closehauled.
Regards ken

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 : 00:13:40
Beware over tightening the Rig! When setting the shroud tension as Abijak, don't be tempted to tack and tighten more than once. You won't damage the rig, but you sure can bend the boat!

Corsair has a Tensioner on the backstay, which is used when sailing to windward as required, and slackend off when moored.

NB. The original gold anodised Sabre mast is difficult to bend fore and aft more than about an inch, without bending the hull. I don't Race.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

seasidebob
United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 : 15:14:12
Many thanks all for the advice

Bob
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================