Keel Bolts after surveyor visit

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Keel Bolts after surveyor visit

Post by Sabre27Admin »

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 : 09:11:28
I have hopefully (but not gladly) finally sold "HUZZAH" subject to money transfer.

The surveyor has recommended that the keel bolts be examined as the boat is of that age (1971) which the buyer is going to have done.

There is no sign of leakage or looseness or movement that I can discern but the word is that the surveyor is being super-cautious after the Cheeki-Rafiki report.

It feels a bit excessive to me but may become a problem for every boat owner in due course, I guess.
rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 : 20:44:56
Dear All

I stand to be corrected but this issue only involves fin keel Sabres. The 'bilge boats' don't have keel bolts as the bilges are an integral part of the hull. I hope so at any rate as that's why I bought a Sabre and not a Westerly Centaur!

Technical Officer: Paul am I right?

Best wishes

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 : 23:09:37
Yes Rory, the twin keels are an integral part of the hull.

A number of fin keeled Sabres have had their keel bolts checked, no problems have been found to date. Surveyors like to justify their fee as far as I can judge.

I would not bother if it was my boat.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2015 : 19:07:42
I too would not bother unless there were signs of movement. The way the sabres keel is bolted on means drawing all the bolts = dropping the keel entirely. Huge job & huge cost if done professionally. And almost certainly unnecessary.

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2015 : 07:50:40
Currently sailing new boat in the Vendee but getting occasional input from broker who sold the boat and got the job of getting her ready for the water,

Bolts were pulled but no remedial work needed was the best I could get from him.

Also, as an aside, he advised that the engine was overheating which was diagnosed as a "completely worn out pump". Symptom seemed to be an impellor not turning as the 'D' end was 'rounded'. He charged the new owner for a new pump (I left a spare pump for the engine) and I suspect that the impellor had stuck to the walls of the pump while laid up for 2 and a half years! So all it really needed I suspect was a new shaft and impellor. The yard was asked to service the engine before launch so if they did, I am not sure why they didn't notice the poor water supply from the exhaust outlet.

Hey Ho.

I hope you hear from the new owner.

NR
(Ex Huzzah - now Early Mist)
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================