Crack around skeg

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Crack around skeg

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 : 11:43:51
Hi we have stripped our sabres hull to the epoxy layer and have noticed a crack around the skeg.

Is this something anyone else has experienced?

How did you over come the issue. I think im going to epoxy epoxy epoxy. Sound about right.

Would be great to hear your experiences.

Thanks
NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2015 : 17:16:37
When we bought "Huzzah" the surveyor said he noticed a crack that I could not see. We had Mylor rebuild it from the inside out (as part of the purchase deal) and it has been very fine ever since - 14 years + ago now.

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2015 : 13:00:32
Thanks for your reply it is greatly appreciated. We don't have the money to have this fixed for us and were looking for information on how to go about the repair as I believe this to be a common problem with sabres.

I plan to use mastix epoxy mybe with some kevlar sheeting. But I'm not sure and any further help would be greatly welcomed.

thanks again

rocklyn4
United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2015 : 21:19:30
I had the same problem about 3 years ago, I ground the cracks out with an angle grinder down to solid fibreglass then layered it up again with fibreglass, epoxy, 3 coats of gelshield then primacon and antifoul never had any more bother. Ps we had a crack at the top of the keel from I bought Backdraft in 2010 & did the same thing. Hope this helps

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2015 : 10:23:29
Thanks so much for your reply. I have all those bits short of the fibreglass... But I'll pick that up tomorrow.

Thanks again, you great help

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 : 20:05:16
The Skeg on both the Bilge & Fin keel versions is a separate moulding that bolts into a recess in the hull. It is bedded on polyester filler & then the ring of bolt heads were glassed over on the inside.
It was usually filled from inside the boat through a hole with two part polyurethane foam filler.
A hairline crack on the outside is probably little more than cosmetic but can be ground back & glassed up if required.

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2015 : 18:04:24
Yes. I have ground it out and glasses it up. I think it was caused by the bearing at the bottom of the skeg being worn and allowing movement in the rudder which could actually be felt in the tiller when under sail.

I made a identical Teflon bearing and popped this in place. With the new glass Up top and bearing down under the tiller feels good now... Just have to get a new tiller....

I wonder what will be next?
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================