Spray Hood Price

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Spray Hood Price

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Charles
United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 : 11:59:06 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Send Charles a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
Hi

I have had a quote for a new sprayhood (without frame) for £1,000.00! Which seems excessive and certainly out of my reach.

Can anyone offer a comparison price from any recent work and possible prefered fabricators.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Edited by - Charles on 10/07/2014 12:00:28
johnle
United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 : 12:25:07
Hi Charles

I have just had one made and fitted £700.00 inc Vat I also had an existing frame.

The sail maker is in Battlesbridge Essex

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2014 : 06:40:58
Hi
You may also like to try www.nandjmussettsails.co.uk N & J Mussett of Mersea Island Essex.
They came down and fitted mine about a month ago, very professional for under £700.
Come and see it or i could send photos.
Regards Ken
Edited by - kcalco on 18/07/2014 06:46:53

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2014 : 19:59:06
I too am ordering a new spray hood and having hunted around believe
I have the best deal possible from Sanders Sails in Lymington, Hampshire. I recommend this family firm unconditionally to Sabre 27 OA Members. The work they have already done for me combines accuracy, wonderful attention to detail and best possible prices. Their website gives all details and if calling ask for Kenna or her brother Peter with my best wishes. I include their quote below.

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER

Dear Rory,

Further to your recent request it is with pleasure that I enclose our quotation as follows:
Yacht: Sabre 27
To manufacture a Sprayhood to the following specification:

a) Acrylic canvas.
b) To suit existing two bar frame.
c) Window at the front.
d) Webbing tensioning straps.

Cost: £550.00 + VAT

I look forward to receiving your further instructions.

Best regards,

Peter Sanders

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 : 14:04:15
Had a similar quote (circa £500) from Kemps sails however they made a very s**t job of it and i would never use them again!

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 : 20:15:42
I regret to say that I too had poor service from Kemps who made a mainsail for me. I tried to share my experiences through Rattling Sabres but alas my article was 'edited' and as a result did not portray what actually happened. Suffice it to say I will not use them again!

Sanders are an all together different set up and I would not suggest them unless I was sure they would do proper job. They have undertaken a number of small tasks for me and I have been particularly impressed; I thoroughly recommend them.

Good luck!

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER

tokomaru111
United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 : 20:44:37
I have had a quote for £550 to supply and fit frames and canvas for spray hood

tokomaru111
United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 : 20:47:09
I will report on the quality when it is fitted, Ron Walke

Mikenfi
United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2015 : 18:00:21
How did the fitting and quality of the £550 includong framing and installation?

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2015 : 20:38:55
Dear All

I mentioned Sanders of Lymington a year ago in this forum. They have made a new spray hood for me which is being fitted on Wednesday ie the day after tomorrow! I already had the two polished stainless steel hoops in very good condition so they did not need replacing. However Sanders have made for me what I can best describe as low 'goal' which sits over the companion way hatch so even when the hood is up the hatch can be slid all the way forward with out getting caught up in the forward bottom edge. The underside of the leading edge (windscreen) is wrapped round the goal and secured ( by Velcro I think) which provides enough tension on it at a raked rather than upright angle.

Costs:

£480 including VAT for the hood
No more than £100 including VAT for the goal

I will endeavour to post photos when fitted. Alternatively come along to the Marchwood Rally and see for yourselves.

And for those interested, (Ken and Paul) I have rebuilt my new cockpit lockers which are now hinged on the outside rather than forward edges! I will endeavour to bring with me to Marchwood an illustrated design for the Handbook.

Best wishes to all

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================