Cockpit Locker Tops

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Cockpit Locker Tops

Post by Sabre27Admin »

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 : 08:29:52
Dear Forum

Happy new year to one and all!

In 2011 I made cockpit locket tops with good quality marine ply and teak facings. I used International varnish and the finish product looked great for a year or two. However horizontal wood takes its toll in British weather and I need to think again. I have now fitted temporary winter tops and brought the main locker tops home for refurbishment.

OPTIONS. I could re-varnish, paint or apply a Treadmaster type surface. I am launching this subject into the Forum in case anybody out there has any useful gems which I could learn from.

In addition I intend to re-hinge the lockers similar to London Apprentice (see Handbook under C for Cockpit) and would again be interested in any members' experience in this area.

Best wishes

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

Edited by - rory7520 on 23/01/2016 23:31:51
rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2015 : 20:12:09
Well 25 of you have read this and not a single comment. Surely someone.....

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2015 : 08:19:38
Well as no one else has commented....

I love the look of varnish, but to have the seats varnished, means that you have a small ice rink to slide on.

I made new locker tops which I coated in epoxy, then covered with International non slip deck paint. They do not look as good as varnished ones, but if I move around on them when it is wet, I dont slip. Easier to maintain as well

As I say I love the lok of varnish, and drool over the old gaffers meetings, but I am realist enough not to want one.

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Jo and Ian
Apogee, Tollesbury

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2015 : 10:11:46 nickbd's nickbd's
Hi Rory - I had new locker tops made - I just kept them oiled. I gave them a new coat or two every year and it looked after them very well. They faded quite quickly but it didn't take much effort to get them back to a good colour each season.

I got a local carpenter to help me build them. My original plan was to have them hinged-but the carpenter left to his own devices didn't bother. He presented them flat & solid, saying that he had lost the plans (from the handbook) that I had given him 4 copies of... They looked great nevertheless and fit perfectly.

==============
Nick B-D
webmaster@sabre27.org.uk
http://sabre27.org.uk
http://www.tinstar.co.uk

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2015 : 10:59:06
Coat the boards all round with epoxy, then apply a sheet of Treadmaster Smooth - light grey, after rounding off the edges.

Looks great, works great, lasts forever but takes a long time and costs a bomb.

If you still interested give me a ring

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/view/5263/ ... ooth-sheet

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 : 11:50:34
I used to varnish my locker lids every year with 'yacht varnish' and obviously they looked great. Yes, they are bit slippery when newly varnished but that soon wears off with use. The just normal, I found.

The boat has now been on the hard, out in the open, for two years, waiting for a buyer and the varnish is still good but the seams, where the edge capping is attached, are showing small water ingress.

This winter I came across Woodskin from International that is not so shiny but claims to be better at protecting wood than varnish and also, in follow up years does not need scraping back to bare wood all over. Simply sand and apply new coats. I have used it on wood in the new boat and am very happy with the look but I cannot give you any experience of long term outdoor use.

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2015 : 15:06:09
Thanks for this but sorry did not seem to catch your name.

Q though: what sort of wood are your locker tops made of? Liberally sanding my marine ply tops may not be a kind enhancement to their longevity!

Have discussed this at length with Paul Howard and think I am going to go with his recommended Treadmaster option but have not bought it yet!

With regard to hinging on the outside curved edges, I think I have come up with a hinge idea which I am experimenting with. Will post on the Forum if it works!

Best wishes to all.

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2015 : 11:27:09
Hi Rory,

Sanding the locker lids every year seemed to cause no harm, as it was mostly thinning the coat of varnish to get a good key and smoothing the edges where necessary. Every few years I would strip it right back to bare wood (because I am a bit of a fuss pot, I suspect)and I remember once even re-staining the plywood, but that was not vastly successful and I did not repeat it.

Then again, the locker lids were well over 12 years old, possibly 15-20 years old, so one expected a few imperfections in the wood, such as where something sharp was dropped and made a dent or old autohelm parts were moved. The general look was always of a 'tidy' ship that looked good.

There is a picture of the cockpit and lockers amongst the photos of "Huzzah" on the boats for sale page.

Nigel R

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 : 16:19:11
Dear All

OUTWARD HINGED LOCKER TOPS

I seem to have cracked my own problem! I have manufactured hard wood booms on the locker top curved edges, to extend the pivot points outside the curvature. I have then used butt hinges between said booms and the fibreglass ridges which run round the cockpit at 'bottom level'. In a nutshell, I now have locker tops which are hinged on the outer (curved) sides and are much easier to use than having the hinges on the forward edges.

I have also glassed in and painted the exposed wood, and applied Treadmaster. So I no longer need to worry about varnishing and hopefully these will last for may years.

If anyone is lost, there are before and after photos in the Owners' Gallery.

Best wishes

Rory Steevenson
SMUGGLER of Keyhaven

for Nick B-D, if you want to copy the photos to this post, please feel free. I am better with wood than I.T.!
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================