Rubbing strake refurbishment

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Rubbing strake refurbishment

Post by Sabre27Admin »

johnle
United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 : 21:28:17
I have decided that this is the year to strip and sand the rubbing strake on Pelagos. Has anyone done this recently and what products did you use?
ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 : 17:26:14
Purchased London Apprentice with green (mossy) rubbing strake in 1986 and used sponge blocks with carborundum surfaces to clean it back to nice warm-looking wood. (Wet process and quite messy, so wash down well). Then treated it with Djeks Olya D1 and D2. The D1 is a very mobile liquid that you apply in multiple coats, wet-on-wet until you get tired. It dries to a sheen finish. Then apply the D2 for a high gloss - better than varnish. These materials are popular in the Med, because they resist UV. Their weakness is low abrasion resistance, so we try to lead all warps thro fairleads instead of against the strake. The good news is that any damage can be touched up with a quick wipe of the D2, and the annual re-clean and re-coat is simple because any winter-damaged Djeks Olya can be removed by a light scrape, without any hard work.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2017 : 21:42:01
On Sabreuse i fitted new rubbing bands & hand rails made from teak. I dont put anythinng on them at all. In the spring i rub them lightly with a scrap of grey (fine) scotchbrite dipped in a bucket of seawater.
Halfway through the season i do it again. Thats it, no goop, no chemicals & no oils or unguents. The teak starts of a pale honey colour & silvers up. It has its own oil in it & doesnt need anything else If you use teak oil or similar it collects dirt & goes black.
The chandlers sell all sorts of treatments for teak. All of it is nothing but snake oil!

rebel
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2017 : 21:01:17
hi keith was it difficult to replace the teak rubbing strips. did you laminate it. or did you have to steam it. also any tips to make it easier to do. thanks paul.

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2017 : 22:05:34
The rubbing bands on our boat were fastened on with big self tappers, others might be bolted through!
On the early boats the part of the hull that the rubbing band sits on follows the flare of the hull at the bow leaving a big gap between the hull & deck molding & the rubber has a piece glued on its bottom edge to touch the hull. Later boats had a better fitting deck moulding. I filled the gap in on our boat with epoxy filler.
I scarfed the hole lot on the trestles next to the boat & hung it off some 2x2 timbers stuck out over the side. Start at the bow & work backwards. It should not need steaming.

rebel
United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2017 : 22:56:01
thanks keith, i bought my sabre last august as an unfinished project, alas now shes almost completed and will be launched this spring. the rubbing strip has been laminated on and screwed, as far as i can see. on inspection the laminations have been reduced in layers as to taper it around the bow. thanks for your help. paul
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================