Starter Motor for Yanmar YSE12

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Starter Motor for Yanmar YSE12

Post by Sabre27Admin »

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2007 : 13:48:14 nickbd's nickbd's
Hyjanorra is coming out of the water at Keyhaven on Monday and one of the many things we need to take care of is the starter motor. It seems to be getting more and more reluctant to turn the engine over. When I turn the ignition there is a 'click' and nothing happens. After two or three turns it starts working. I assume it needs re-buiding or replacing.

Any suggestions, hints or advice? If I rebuild it, who should I use in the area (Lymington area), and how much will it cost? Will it be hard to remove? All assistance much appreciated, (the engine is a Yanmar YSE12). You might have spotted that I am no engineer.

==============
Nick B-D

mikeduckett
United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 : 18:54:39
Sorry for the delayed reply - I had trouble with the starter / solenoid a year or 2 ago. I took it to a local (in Wiltshire sorry) motor spares supplier - who then sent it off for repair. It has worked fine since. So I suggest you check yellow pages, etc.

Mick Johnson
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 : 22:07:04
Hello Nick,
It is just possible that the solenoid contacts are green with surface corrosion that will clean off. This was the case with PQ's YSE12 starter which was taking 5 or 6 turns of the key to get it to come to life and fire up.Just as with you, all that happened at first was a click. Once the solenoid was identified as the source of the problem (and not sulphation on the battery terminal causing resistance to the very high starting current)the copper contact straps were cleaned and lightly oiled with WD40 and then the problem was overcome. That was in 1995 and it has behaved ever since and it gets plenty of use. Our YSE12 engine is a wonderful reliable device that starts on the first or second compression stroke in the summer (by key or by handle).
Regards
Mick Johnson
Parvus Quinque, Weir Quay

nickbd
United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 : 13:10:23 nickbd's nickbd's
That's all very helpful - thanks very much!

Nick

==============
Nick B-D
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================