Mast wiring

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Mast wiring

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Graham
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2008 : 16:50:37
Due to problems with expanding foam in two places in my mast I am unable to run a new VHF co-ax. All the cables including many 'old ones' are stuck and would not budge in either direction up or down. In my frustration I have decided to remove the whole lot, clear the mast completely and start again. Has anyone experienced the same prob? I have used drain clearance rods with a pronged attachment to run up inside the mast, it has worked quite well so far getting the wires and foam out.

Has anyone got any tips regarding the re-wire.? Any advise welcome!
A fellow sailor pal has put his new wires into foam pipe insulation and slid this into the mast!

Regards Graham, Blue Mist.
Mike
United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2008 : 03:21:38
When i rewired mine, I used loads of stiff cable ties on the wire facing different directions with their tails left on.
The tails prevent the wires slapping inside the mast, was a easy enough job using the old wire as a pull through, though i imagine you no longer have that option.
Possibly a lenght of stiff wire or the thin flexy steel thingy that electricians use to pull wires under floorboards to act as a guide an pull through, the name of which escapes me, it comes in approx five/six foot lenghts which screw together, Paul will prob know the name of what im talking about !

Mike
Edited by - Mike on 23/01/2008 03:24:57

Graham
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2008 : 11:48:16
Mike, thanks for your feedback re mast wiring. Not a bad idea.
I was beginning to think there was only Paul and myself out there !!

regards
Graham

Mike
United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2008 : 02:03:50
I have a look in here every couple of days Graham to see if anything new has being posted, plus seeing i only rejoined the association again recently after a three year break, thought i would try and contribute, especially seeing that certain members have put in a lot of effort to provide a excellant forum for us, which i have to say for my part is much apprieciated.

That expanding foam sounds a right pain in the arse..I have to drop my mast soon as i seem to have mislaid the whippy part of the vhf aerial during recent high winds.

All the best with your problem.
Mike

( Sabredancer )

john
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 : 08:41:01
Hi, I own a 1974 sabre. when I rewired the mast last year, I found a channel inside the front of the mast.I used a flexable steel cable in the hole by the steaming light to the bottom and top of the mast to insert a nylon cord to pull the new cables through.This stopped all the wires slapping inside the mast .
regards John.

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2008 : 14:29:11
If it's not too late, remember to put a spare line up the mast at the same time, so that if you ever want to put another cable up, you have something in place to pull it up with!

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 : 08:52:00
I also redid the mast wiring last year. Need to be sure you are using the correct sized wire preferrably tinned (I got mine from Merlin electronics but expensive). Like John, the wires in my Selden mast go up a sparate anterior track, not in the mast space proper. This may not be the same for everyone. I used an old metal halyard I found in the boatyard sliced to the wires to pull the new wires through (much cursing). You could use the old wires to pull through the new, but mine had corroded to bits. It makes the job a lot easier if you take the heel of the mast off. Good luck.

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2008 : 23:08:07
Should have said 'spliced' and not 'sliced'!
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================