spinakers and flying jibs

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

spinakers and flying jibs

Post by Sabre27Admin »

phillmat
United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 : 21:51:52 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Click to see phillmat's
Hello.
I am currently looking for a place to purchase a spinaker for our sabre Minerva. I do not know which size to get or where to purchase from.
I am also contimplating fitting a bowsprit and a flying jib. Any knowledge on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
Matthew Phillips
Graham
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 : 19:45:09
Hullo phillmat,
I have a bowsprit on my sabre Blue Mist.The length is about 18 inches or so with the furl gear out on the end.there is an eye inboard which I can only assume is for the cruise shute.
To be honest this was my first season with the boat and I have not used the cruise shute.
In strong winds the bowsprit can be seen bending along with the forestay moving about a fair bit, this could be due to me not haveing enough tension in the rigging. The reason I have not put loads of tension on the forestay is due to concerns about the babystay that goes down to the bow/hull. There are two bolts which go through to inside the anchor locker, one is 8mm the other is 10mm with an eye to take the babystay. I am not knowledgeable enough to know how much tension I could put on the forestay before it causes a problem with pulling the fixings 'through' the bow ! The 10mm fixing ends up bent with the tension that I am prepared to put on!
I do feel that performance is enhanced due to a bigger jib.
I may be able to sort out a few pictures to send if you wish ?
Rgds Graham
Blue Mist

phillmat
United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 : 15:31:25 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Click to see phillmat's
I would be very grateful for any pictures you may have. That is if it is not to much troubble. Thanx Matt

Graham
United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 : 17:26:11
Hi

Been away up to River Orwell Harwich,and beyond over this weekend so sorry for delay responding.
I will dig out some photos and with luck e mail some to you, got kids on half term so may not get round to it this week.

Regards
Grahm
Blue Mist

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 : 21:30:47
Hi Matthew,

Blue Mist is not the only Sabre to have a small bow-sprit fitted. Whether it is worth all the hassel is open to question. Two of the Sabres that I have heard from removed the sprit after finding little advantage with balence problems in some conditions.

If you are thinking of flying a spinaker consider the effect of extending the forestay in relation to the spinaker boom length etc.

A well set Spinnaker will take you downwind at some speed, you will need crew as well as the gear! Go to a decent sailmaker who knows the Sabre. Kemp sails will make you a fine sail to suit your needs and will help you to find out what those needs are. Not cheap but you get what you pay for! Ensure your sheets are long enough!! Many Sabres will take their sheets outside, back to blocks shackled to the backstay plates then inside to the winches. Minerva has no cockpit guard wires so you may use the foreward pushpit base to secure your blocks. Beware of the fixings here, the shock loads can be huge!!

We could go on and on. Call me if you want more info.

Graham, The Stem on a Sabre is very thick and strong!! If the securing bolts pass through a decent backing plate to spread the load and are kept tight they will not move! Send me some close-up pics of the installation inside and out.

I remain unconvinced of the whole idea I have to confess.

Yours, Paul Howard, Tech Off.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================