Replacement cockpit engine hatch

It's always handy to know where to turn when you need some help with the rigging - or the 30 year old Yanmar that needs a reconditioned alternator. If you've had a good experience with a supplier or craftsman, let us know who they are by posting their details here. Please start your post title with the general topic in capitals at the beginning. For example:

ENGINE - Yanmar spare parts
RIGGING - Sail laundry & repair
ENGINE - South coast mobile mechanic
Julian Critchley

Replacement cockpit engine hatch

Post by Julian Critchley »

My first post as the proud new owner of a Sabre 27 (actually, my first ever boat, so basically clueless).

I need to replace the engine inspection hatch in the floor of the cockpit. Currently it's neither safe nor watertight. Would anyone have any idea where I might be able to go to get a replacement either second hand or newly made?

Grateful for any and all advice.
samphire2014

Re: Replacement cockpit engine hatch

Post by samphire2014 »

I am puzzled by your claim it is unsafe. Have you had it off yet, or does it feel flimsy underfoot?

Mine was removed several years ago. I discovered the timber stiffeners were rotten and waterlogged, this allowed the hatch to 'flex' as it now had no support. I cut these out and replaced with new timber, not a difficult task if you are 'handy'. I also found the edge of the mounting in the cockpit floor was deteriorating, so I stiffened this with fresh timber, before seating the repaired cover into a fresh bed of silicone. Might be worth a second look? PS, make sure you get all the screws out, before going armed with a long handled screwdriver (or jemmie) as levering up the old hatch to break a failing silicone seal can be a job which requires patience and a touch of brute force!
jezza

Re: Replacement cockpit engine hatch

Post by jezza »

Rather than using a sealant, I bought some sponge sealing strip from Seals Direct and used around the engine hatch (which doesn't actually give access to much apart from the stern gland).

Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Plymouth
Jerry Jones
Sea Spear
Weston-super-Mare