Tiller pilots

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Tiller pilots

Post by Sabre27Admin »

dick blackford
United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 : 16:35:39
Has anyone any tips on fitting a tiller pilot? Suitability and position would be good - also anything to avoid! Dick Blackford
ianfr
United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 : 16:55:15
Hi,

Our ST1000+ is mounted on the cockpit coaming and has extension push rods to get it to reach the tiller. Seems to work so far, although the push rod is long. Very easy though just to unscrew when not in use.

Regards

Ian

Kind Regards

Ian

jerryo
Ireland
70 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 : 18:45:47
Hi Dick
My tiller pilot is mounted on the lid of the starboard cockpit locker. There are 2 positions for the metal mounting leg although I have never used the inner one which is nearest to cockpit.
The locker lid is an ideal place for it, as it is flat when mounted and the arm move the tiller very easily. The metal peg id mounted on the top side of the tiller approx 1/3rd of the way aft of the narrow tiller end, eg the bit you hold.
Only down side I have come across is you must not store anything in that locker you might need in a hurry especially when singlehanded.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 : 22:10:17
Hi Dick,

The Autohelm 1000 will be OK in benign conditions but when the spray starts flying and it hurts when it hits you, it will struggle to maintain a course, and will get hot and liable to premature failure! I’ve been there! You will need the 2000 for those conditions. It is faster and a deal more powerful.

You can of course, go even higher to the ‘4000’ and enjoy the advantages of all manner of sophisticated hook-ups into GPS etc. including a pocket size remote control unit for the single handed, when you can steer through the moorings or up a river whilst sitting comfortably under the pram hood in the companionway on your ‘Perch Seat’, as the rain and spray flies over the top!

Mounting on the locker lid makes the unit less vulnerable to ‘flying body damage’. With the more powerful 2000 you can mount a little further aft on the tiller.

You’ll probably be broke but happy. I am. For further info contact me by phone.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Mike T
67 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 : 13:27:40
There was an article in PBO magazine about a year ago by a Sabre owner on how to fit a tiller pilot to a Sabre!

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 : 09:20:14
Jus5t to add a belated endorsement of Paul's comment about the '1000' vs the '2000'.

We have both on board, as we found the '1000' wasn't man enough for sailing; fine for motoring or spinnaker runs with the wind behind us. As soon as the wind picked up it struggled.

The '2000' was used constantly on our 3-months in Brittany, so much so, that we hardly steered the boat ourselves at all, once outside in open water except when it was unreasonable to expect it to cope with the conditions.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 : 21:51:22
I've just fitted a 1000, and I find it's very good, even in strong breeze. I think the critical thing is get the boat balanced, I would not expect the ST1000 to be able to steer properly with massive weather helm, so just make sure you'd be happy steering before you hand over! Also, according to the instructions, the mounting dimensions are critical. No doubt though that if you can stretch to the 2000, that would be the way to go!

(Our Raymarine ST1000 has been nicknamed "Raymondo", after one of the detectives in the time-travelling 1980's/2000's police show "Ashes to Ashes" )
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================