Re Engining

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Re Engining

Post by Sabre27Admin »

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 : 16:42:39
I am in the early stages of putting a new engine in Sabre Run. The old Volvo was unbolted on saturday ready to lift out, and it is many years since i got so thouroughly covered in grease & filth.
We have decided to fit a Beta 16 in her but are curious on a few things, It seems quite a few Sabre owners have fitted Beta engines but there is a choice of Gearbox PRM80 or TMC40, does anyone know the difference apart from the TMC giving slightly more clearance?
Also has anyone else fitted the shallow sump option & high swan neck on the exhaust? I also fancy fitting an aquadrive if there is enough room. I would be interested to hear what other owners have done.
brennan
United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 : 20:29:47
I fitted the beta 20 bd722 with standard sump,high rise exhast ,with
tmc 40 g/box(2.1 ratio) no prblem at all.

brennan
United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 : 20:30:56
also fitted flexi drive coupling

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 : 21:12:56
Thanks for that, i made a mock up of the Beta and there is plenty of clearance under the sump, the Tmc box is also much more compact.
Next job is to cut out the old beds & stern gear i would have left the tube in but it has been worn badly by the shaft due to the collapsed engine mounts. The volvo had such little clearance under it that it had actually been wearing a patch of hull away as it lurched around!

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 : 22:37:02
Spent a happy Sunday afternoon with the angle grinder fitted with diamond cutter chopping out the ehgine beds. All out now for the old stern tube!

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 : 19:57:57
Had a go at the stern tube, much to my surprise the screws holding the cutlass housing came out easily, got the stillsons on the housing and it turned. Tapped it along and the stern tube assembly slid out complete. Feeling smug i thought may as well take the rudder off, likewise all the bolts came undone easily, two taps with the hammer and the heel fitting fell off on the floor. Took the tiller fitting & threaded collar of and the rudder dropped out on the grass. If only all jobs on boats were this easy, Skeg looks a bit ropey though!

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 : 14:30:37
Keith, we're following your progress with enormous interest (and not a little awe). This really put our winter maintenance list into perspective.

Keep up the good work, good luck, and please continue to keep us all posted.

We look forward to seeing you on the water when its all finished and she's looking beautiful

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - River Deben

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 : 15:10:21
Actually every time i get on board my heart sinks, however just behind us is an old 1960's wooden centreboarder, a new member has just aquired it, i take one look at the patches of dry rot all over it and all of a sudden i feel much better

keith
United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 : 23:53:17
Went to the boat show on wednesday,nice day out. We looked at all the suitable engines & settled on the Beta 16, should be with us in a few weeks then its new beds & stern gear.Busy earning to pay for it all!

jezza
United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 : 19:46:08 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Click to see jezza's MSN Messenger address Send jezza a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
I'm looking at budget reengining too. My 1GM10 has low compression and I'm looking at paying someone (against my religion but I have no time or facilities nowadays) to fit a new piston and have it rebored - about £600 all-in. I have a sneaky feelint that it will still be a bit lacking in power so am looking at the possibility of a used 2GM20, which should be an easy swap. Any thoughts on prices? I see there's one on eBay but haven't got much ofr a feel as to what it will fetch.

Fair winds,

Jerry Jones
Sea Spear, Plymouth

Mike Jones
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 : 14:00:18
quote:
Originally posted by jezza

I'm looking at budget reengining too. My 1GM10 has low compression and I'm looking at paying someone (against my religion but I have no time or facilities nowadays) to fit a new piston and have it rebored - about £600 all-in. I have a sneaky feelint that it will still be a bit lacking in power so am looking at the possibility of a used 2GM20, which should be an easy swap. Any thoughts on prices? I see there's one on eBay but haven't got much ofr a feel as to what it will fetch.

Fair winds,

Jerry Jones
Sea Spear, Plymouth

Mike Jones
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 : 14:05:47
Jerry,

Re engined Zenta last year, had the work done by Boating World at Landrake, they got hold of a reconditioned Volvo 2002, 18HP twin. They did all the heavy installing after i had taken out the old mud weight (yanmar 8 with no compression.) Cost £1800.00 all in. Lots of power and easy starting.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================