gas installation

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

gas installation

Post by Sabre27Admin »

davidq
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 : 15:11:39
Mr. Tickle came without a certified gas installation and I'm on the brink of completing mine. My gas bottle will be installed in the port cockpit locker but I'm not sure of the best place for the hull outlet point. Near the base of the transom, centrally, would be the obvious choice but this is completely inaccessible from the inside. I'd be glad of any info from other members on their arrangements.
davidq
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 : 18:57:23
Hi David, Many of us have our gas bottles actally in the cockpit itself, standing directly against the transom. Installation is easy and the cockpit self drains through the big hole in the floor at the stern that also drains the water. Yes it is above water level.

All you have to do is put a removable lid at seat level accross the stern and a front attached to the cockpit sides preferably leaving a 50mm or so gap at the bottom. There is room for two bottles connected to a one way valve junction block and a regulator. I also have a little box in between the bottles that keeps them in place and houses a funnel, spanner, rags etc.

Unfortunately I don't have good pics of this at the moment but I'll send you something to give you an idea. Lot's more room in your Locker!!

If you want more info, call me or mail me.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 : 09:02:43
Hi Paul

We have our gas locker exactly where you desbribe but are thinking of rebuilding it next winter, would be very interested in any picture you have our Corsair's locker.

Regards
Neil

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - River Deben

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 : 10:01:48
Hi Neil,

Will take proper pics when I go down next and will mail them to you.

Any one else have any other alternatives or different ideas on this subject?

Cheers,

davidq
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 : 11:44:31
Hello Paul and Neil
Thanks for all that. My only concern about that arrangement is that I've heard I wouldn't get certification unless there is a dedicated hull outlet. How important is a certificate? And are your lockers glassed in?
David
Mr. Tickle
Aldeburgh

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 : 15:03:06
Hi all,

To my knowledge we don’t yet need certification to go to sea in private boats up to 45 feet or so. Inland waterways are another matter!!!!

The cockpit is a gas proof sided box with a dirty great ‘dedicated hole’ in the bottom.

The ‘gas locker’ is not glassed at all. The front is fixed to the sides just behind the seat drain channels with a 2” gap at the bottom. The lid is hinged off the transom.

I live my life by common sense and reasoned thought, not by the dic-tat of a self serving, money making industry.

If you want a chat, ring me.

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 : 21:57:18
Hi David.

Having the gas locker over the large cockpit drain was accptable by the people that issued our gas certificate last summer (gas check marine), and the locker is not gas tight in the slightest (or glassed in).

Paul is right you don't need it to go to sea (unlike on inland waterways), but our surveyor listed a whole heap of stuff that he felt unqualified to check (gas, electrics, engine, water & rigging) - and so our insurers excluded all these from the insurance until we had them checked, and we did not feel happy not being insured for a whole range of risks.

We did wonder what we were paying the surveyor for - but they all seem to be the same !

Good luck
Neil

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - River Deben
Edited by - Shamal on 18/03/2009 21:58:36

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2009 : 00:58:02
Neil,
Change your insurer, give them a hard time. Look on the forum for our Self certification insurance, no surveyor. Beat them over the head with a winch handle.

Why should we put up with all this crap nonsence. It's about time we fought back and not just give in to them.

What the hell was the Water exclusion all about. The mind boggles!!!

Grrrrr.

=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================