Whisker Pole

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Whisker Pole

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 : 12:49:11
Does anyone use a "whisker" pole for down wind sailing. If so what length pole do you use, and how far up the mast is the in board fitting. Hopefully save myself lots of trial and error.

Rgds Tony J Sailmaker
Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 : 12:24:59
Yes, and it makes an enormous difference. The pole is abouyt 8' stowed, and must be nearly double that when fully extended. There are three alternative extension settings on ours.

To ensure the sail isn't collapsed by the weight of the pole you'll need to support the pole, we have a halliard lead to a block about 12' up the mast for this, but I guess you could also use a spare spinaker halliard.

The mast fitting is about 4-5' up the mast, but is on a track for adjustment.

We'd be happy to show you if we meet on the river this summer !

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Walton Backwaters
Edited by - Shamal on 01/06/2009 12:30:07

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 : 12:39:03
Neil,

Thanks for info, very useful, will look out for you, or maybe arrange something becasue it would be useful to see.

Was it a pol eyou made or purchased?

Rgds

Tony J

Sailmaker - Levington

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 : 14:10:37
Hi Tony

We don't have a 'whisker pole' if I understand the nomenclature correctly (ie a small pole to ensure sheets clear the shrouds when running before the wind) but we do have a spinnaker pole - for the spinnaker.

However, we also use this to pole-out the genoa and lock it for running before in heavier winds. We still use the uphaul when in this use but only use the downhaul as well, with the spinnaker.

To avoid the sheets fouling (and wearing badly!) the shrouds you need to put a block on the second from bow stanchion base, down low. This then runs nicely back to the cockpit. We simply tie our blocks on. It is an 'opening block' (can't remember the proper name - snatch-block??)for ease of Gybing and sail adjustment.

Spinnaker pole about 12' long, lashed to foredeck when not in use.

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 : 21:14:01
[quote]Originally posted by Tony

Neil,

Thanks for info, very useful, will look out for you, or maybe arrange something becasue it would be useful to see.

Was it a pol eyou made or purchased?

-----------------

Tony,
It was one which came with the boat - made by Kemp.

Rgds
Neil

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Walton Backwaters

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 : 18:45:38
Hi all,

We have been using the same pole as Shamal for eighteen years or more, it is brilliant! Used mostly as a whisker and sometimes for a Spinnaker or Cruiser. Our 'user mode' is the same as his.

In truth, I bought a new one four seasons ago after a monumental backing of the poled out foresail when sailing at 8+ kts downwind screaming past Roches Douvres. An extra large sea just picked us up and turned us 90 degrees. Serves me right for not rolling the sail in earlier! The pole hit the foreward lowers and sustained a crease which was fatal. Record breaking passage time though!?!

The pole is Seldon, was Kemp, Part no, 060-060-58 (smallest of three) page no. 128 of their on line catalogue: http://www.seldenmast.com/ebrochures/ENG/index.cfm
Click on the link above to go to the page.

Not cheap but worth every pound. I have sent you an email with a picture of it stowed on the side deck of Corsair’ for your interest. If you get one, the small end goes to the mast!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 : 15:23:08
Dear Tony

Sorry to be late responding but we've been away.

Our spinnaker pole is about 13 feet long I think. Had it made in France after our original one got washed overboard in the Chenal du Four! Another story! But any sensible 'rigger' will make you one up - or try the secondhand shops? The interesting bit is the 'ends' - that need to fit your boat's fittings and the diameter of the pole itself - strength vs weight. Ours is about 3" dia. (I think)

The actual length can be gauged I think by measuring from a point about 4 feet up from the base of the mast to a little further out than the forestay.

The objective is to have the spinnaker positively stopped from running behind/under the forestay when 'loaded' otherwise it will completely blank and collapse. However, if you want to gybe by 'dipping' the pole (not end-for-ending it) then it will need to just fit inside the forestay, when 'dipped'. Make sense?

Equally you need to keep the fully 'loaded' pole from being pressed against the forestay, but that is done with your sheets and guys on the winches - another lesson altogether in keeping the kite flying!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nigel Ross
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================