Mooring cleats

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Mooring cleats

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 : 19:14:33
My boat does not have any mooring cleats on the side decks...not ideal in my mind!

I've had a look at Black Fox, which does have them, but also seems to have the genoa car tracks further inboard, rather than where mine are on the gunwale.

I was planning on cutting the front end of the track off, putting a fairlead there, and then bolting the mooring cleats on the sidedeck, with a wooden pad epoxied onto the sidedeck and another one underneath.

Is this the done thing?

Cheers in advance!
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 : 00:43:42
Hi Iain,

I havn't seen it done like that on any other Sabre for good reasons. The front end of the track is used when a well reefed foresail or storm jib is set. It will also seriously grab a flogging sheet in normal use.

Most side cleats, of which there are many, are fitted foreward of the stantion. This may seem to far forward but it works ok. We have had them on Corsair for 35 years without a problem.

Strangely I can find only one photograph to send you, from London Apprentice, who's cleat is a shade aft of mine on Corsair. I have mailed it to you. When you come to the Marchwood rally you will see a number of Sabres with these cleats. Do nothing until then when all will be revealed.

Look at Ken's cleats with their 'Boots'. That tells you something!

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 : 08:35:16
Got the picture, great stuff, thanks. Good point on the flogging headsail sheet...I had not thought about that! Do you not bother with fairleads then?

joeschofield
19 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 : 20:41:29
Midships cleats are "essential" if you are used to them. But you can easily live without them. Folk who use 'em will tell you they can't live without 'em. But some of us can. About once a year I wish I had them, usually when sailing single-handed. The rest of the time I just get by. It's no big deal.

Ian Kilpatrick
United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 : 17:51:20
Hi Joe! I made an 'L' shaped wooden block and epoxied it to the deck and screwed it to the side of the toe rail. I drilled right through the block and bolted the side cleats right through the deck with a backing pad on the deckhead. Also epoxied in. If you would like a photo send me your e-mail address
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================