Lazy Jacks

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
javanwardle

Lazy Jacks

Post by javanwardle »

Could anyone recommend details of a lazy jack system that has worked well for you on the standard Sabre 27 mast and boom?
Are the very much "off the shelf" or is there quite a bit of DIY involved?
samphire2014

Re: Lazy Jacks

Post by samphire2014 »

Hi,
I have come up with a system, that does not involve attaching all type of pulleys and lines to the mast and upgrades to the boom cover. It is a marmite solution, but works well for me, as I sail mainly single handed. It involves attaching a double pulley to the topping lift, which can be done at deck level. 2 lines are reeved through the pulleys, the first end attached to the forward end of the boom and the other aft. When deployed, both lines form an inverted 'V' from the topping lift to the boom, into which the sail can be lowered. I find it faster and more efficient, if the sail is fitted with a downhaul line, so it can be pulled down quickly as I do not want acres of sail flapping all over the place. A quick dart up on deck to throw on some sail ties, normally allows for the operation to be completed in 3-4 minutes. When not in use the lines are drawn back to the boom end and secured with a couple of snap hooks. A route from the boom near the gooseneck, down to the mast foot (will require some smart thinking to effect an engineering solution) and then through a diverter, back to the cockpit, where they are secured with jamming cleats, allowing them to be deployed whilst at the helm.
javanwardle

Re: Lazy Jacks

Post by javanwardle »

Thank you for the reply. I like marmite so I will digest.