Simple forecabin insulation

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Simple forecabin insulation

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 : 22:09:09
Getting chilly now, and Summer Girl's forecabin (just bare glassfibre) was covered in condensation last weekend...and it was dripping onto my sleeping bag!

What's a good product to use for a quick and easy insulation job, that could possibly be panelled over at a later date?

Thanks!
Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 : 17:11:02
Hi Iain

On Shamal the inside of the hull is lined with carpet, glued to the sides - which is pretty normal in a fibreglass boat. The deckhead is covered with normal vinyl headlining with a thin layer of foam backing, on the flat surfaces the vinyl is glued to thin plywood sheets screwed to the deck.

Run through some of the photos in the owners gallery and you'll see how it looks.

With the hatch shut we still get some condensation, and so normaly sleep with the forehatch ajar, and the main hatch a few inches open, even in winter, which solves them problem.

Good luck

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - Titchmarsh Marina
Edited by - Shamal on 22/10/2009 17:11:50

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 : 21:59:26
Great, thanks. Do you know a decent supplier for these bits?

I've also just bought a dehumidifier from Aldi...I think it works along the lines of weapons-grade cat litter that pulls moisture out the air that way, so we'll see if that helps at all too.

Cheers

Iain

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 : 16:55:51
Hi Iain,

In the Poole area, a good company is:

TOOMER AND HAYTER
74 Green Road,
Winton,
Bournemouth,
Dorset,
BH9 1EB

Tel 01202 515789
Web: www.toomerandhayter.co.uk

Go and have a good look at the various materials and quiz the staff, or better still an installer.

Foam back vinyl is popular and effective, but has a lifetime of 10 yrs and leaves a horrible sticky mess to remove when it finally falls off. There are other things doing the same job but all have the problem of the adhesive. Carpet generally leaves less mess but all depends on the backing! In short, there is no quick and easy solution. If it is cold to the touch, it will get wet!

Temporary jobs can be done with the above or similar using thin lines or dobs of adhesive, far easier to remove later! Through ventilation helps keep the condensation down.

All lining is a messy and smelly job

Good luck,

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 : 21:47:03
Thanks for the tip, carpet is probably the way to go then.

I was aboard at the weekend for the first time for a month, and I'm pleased to report that the Aldi special dehumidifier had pulled about 2 litres of water from the atmosphere, and the boat was bone dry inside.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================