Rigging the kite

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Rigging the kite

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 : 21:56:42
As an 18' skiff helm, I do tend to get a little bored downwind without a kite up!

Summer Girl has one, although it's not been rigged in some time. A couple of questions...the genoa cars are doubles, so I assume that the genoa sheets are supposed to go through the inboard sheave, and the kite sheets through the outboard sheave and straight onto the aft winches? Also, there's nothing in the way of a pole downhaul, where is this normally led to, and is suposed to be easily adjustable by way of a jammer or similar, or just cleated/tied off at the mast base? The pole looks like it's double ended, with uphaul/downhaul in the middle.

At the moment, all winching is at the mast base, but I intend on running everything back to the cockpit, and I might as well invest in the hardware to at least do the pole properly, now. I can't see winches being required to hoist the kite or adjust the pole...it's smaller than the 18 kite (although loaded up a fair bit more I guess!)
NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 : 20:47:58
Our kite is rigged traditionally!

We have an uphaul and downhaul at the mast for the pole - haven't seen a need to bring it back to the cockpit.

The sheets and guys are run through snatch blocks attached to the bottom of the stanchions at the widest part of the boat and carried back, outside everything to the smaller winches in the cockpit - we have two each side. The smaller ones are really only used for the winches.

Halyard hauled manually, at the mast.

That about does it.

Our 'spinny' came off a Hunter 32 and could be said to be a bit big! but as the Sabre is usually under-canvassed, this has not yet presented us with a problem when we use it.

A couple of summers back, we kept pace with a 55' heavy displacement boat from Falmouth to Fowey and eventually outpaced her!

Gets exciting enough for us!

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 : 23:10:32
Great, thanks for that. I guess we'll just give it a go and see what happens...although I reckon I'll still lead everything aft if possible as I intend to set the boat up for shorthanded sailing ideally.

Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 : 11:40:55 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hello

I'm afraid I'm adding to the question rather than the answer...

I was wondering what other sabre owners have in terms of downwind sails, as I don't have any but am considering investing in something. My criteria are; a sail to make her behave better dead down wind, something that can be handled relatively easily short or even single handed, and not going to break the bank!
I haven't really played with downwind sails before, so am slightly baffled by the subtle differences between spinakers, cruising chutes, genakers etc.

any handy sabre-specific tips?!

Nothing - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 : 18:19:10 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
i use our cruising chute when theres just the two of us the spinny comes out when were racing and also on long passages it requires three people to do it safely
the spinny we use mainly running the chute i tend to use like an aysametric it works nicely in light winds gybing downwind in the shifts

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 : 16:50:38
quote:
Originally posted by Sunfly

Hello

I'm afraid I'm adding to the question rather than the answer...

I was wondering what other sabre owners have in terms of downwind sails, as I don't have any but am considering investing in something. My criteria are; a sail to make her behave better dead down wind, something that can be handled relatively easily short or even single handed, and not going to break the bank!
I haven't really played with downwind sails before, so am slightly baffled by the subtle differences between spinakers, cruising chutes, genakers etc.

any handy sabre-specific tips?!

Nothing - absolute nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================