Mainsail dimensions?

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Mainsail dimensions?

Post by Sabre27Admin »

antbewes
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 : 11:33:37
Hi all,

With luck we'll be sabre owners very soon! Right now I wanted to reach out to get mainsail dimensions so I can follow-up with a sailmaker, if anyone has luff / foot measurements that would be a great help..

Best Regards,

Ant & Rach
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 : 16:26:25
Hi Ant & Rach, welcome to our forum.

A number of things you need to know.

Is your Sabre a Mk1 or a, the mast heights are substantially different.

In general the approximate dimensions of the Mk 2 will be: 28ft height x 10ft foot.

Sabres can vary in their mast height and boom length as many were custom fitted by owners or yards other than Marcon. Hull and deck dimensions are all the same. Therefore it is necessary to take measurements from your own boat. You will need to consult with your sailmaker before doing this, as to how. Original masts and booms will probably have the black tape sail limit positions which helps, Many booms will have been changed but most masts will still be the Kemp original.

In general, The larger you can make the roach the better, especially for the twin keeler. It helps to windward.

You may e-mail me directly via the Contact Us page on the website, if you feel the need.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

antbewes
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 : 15:42:08
Hi Paul,

We'll hold off mainsail measuring then until we collect Sabre Wing this weekend.

Incidently would we be able to join the club insurance policy to cover our trip this weekend (Exe-Christchurch) or is it too short notice? I tried to email you directly but I'm told I don't have enough forum posts yet

Ant & Rach

rocklyn4
United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 : 22:32:29
Hi Ant & Rach,

Welcome to the forum, as a new member myself I have trolled through the archives and current forums and learnt so much already. One thing I can say is I used the organisations insurance company and they were cheaper than any others I tried. I phoned them for a quote and went ahead with it and cover started immediately.

We launched Backdraft on Saturday and had our first sail around in the Irish Sea, heres to a really good summer.
Good luck with your new boat.

Kyle
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================