Launch Day - and Mainsail Price Query

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Launch Day - and Mainsail Price Query

Post by Sabre27Admin »

nickbd
United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 : 18:39:21 nickbd's nickbd's
We launched Hyjanorra from Keyhaven today in high winds and horizontal rain, both of which were forgotten when we reached our destination of beer in Lymington. However, I discovered bit of a tear in the leech of the mainsail.

I usually go to Foil Sails in East Boldre, but he's having a couple of days off and doesn't open up until November... so I had to drop it in at Sanders Sails who said they'd fix it 'if it was worth it'...

Just in case they think it isn't can anyone recommend a reasonably priced sailmaker / repairer in the Lymington area?

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel
Yanmar YSE 12
Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 : 18:46:47
Hi Nick

I had a similar conversation with a sailmaker over a ripped main last year - I couldn't really afford it but in the end I bought a new main from Kemp for about £850 - I would have to say that in terms of peace of mind, absolute delight at the product, happiness with their level of communication/service I couldn't be better pleased. It only hurts once and a new sail is a thing of great beauty and utility.

Just an observation - I'll never be well off!

Regards

Peter O'D Sanda Isle (best of luck anyway)

nickbd
United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 : 09:58:29 nickbd's nickbd's
Thanks Peter - I'll let you know what Sanders' verdict is.

The relief of launch day has been tempered somewhat by some lowlife breaking into Hyjanorra over Easter weekend. Down below were genoa, dinghy, outboard, lifejackets etc etc - none of which were taken. My assumption is that after failing to turn on any lights (not the easiest thing to accomplish even in broad daylight), the pitch darkness of the interior put the intruders off further investigation - and they satisfied their feeble minds by breaking a few things instead - and robbing and trashing the boat next door.

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel
Yanmar YSE 12

Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 : 20:31:51
Nick
I was so sorry to hear that - I feel violated for you! Sometimes we seem to live in an awful world.
So Sorry.

Peter (Sanda Isle)

nickbd
United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 : 12:07:19 nickbd's nickbd's
...and the good news continues! Sanders have told me "The exposed area of sailcloth is very ‘ripe’ and it will not be viable to attempt a repair".

So does the following price look fair to you? It's a furling main mounted behind the mast, thus the need for a sunstrip:

a) 6.5oz Premium Dacron
b) Integral clew block
c) UV resistant clew patch
d) Sailbag
Cost:
a) Standard Quality: £486.00
b) Best Quality: £540.00
Sunstrip: £81.00

Prices exclude VAT.

All input much appreciated!

Thanks

Nick

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel, Yanmar YSE 12

dave
United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 : 20:09:12 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Send dave an AOL message Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
having just bought a new mainsail the price looks very good buy the better quality one you will not regret it

Peter OD
United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 : 20:17:20
Its a very good price - I paid £753 including VAT for a non-furling main; but I'm very pleased.

Peter (Sanda Isle)

nickbd
United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 : 20:20:58 nickbd's nickbd's
Thanks very much for your feedback - the order has been placed.

==============
Nick B-D

1974 Fin Keel, Yanmar YSE 12
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================