ELECTRIC PROBLEM!

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

ELECTRIC PROBLEM!

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 : 18:56:33
I'm pretty sure that this is covered in the owners handbook but it's 150 miles away on the boat!

Will a 500x500 Houdini hatch fit into the existing hatch, or is it best to build some additional glass into the existing hatch aperture and fit the Houdini directly to that?

I would favour the "hatch in a hatch" scenario as it would presumably be much easier, and also allows the hatch to be opened either way for better ventilation.

Cheers!
Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 : 11:36:44 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Hi Iain

I've just had a look through my handy electronic copy (downloadable from the main website, ask Nick BD for the password), but there isn't anything about the forehatch other than baffle strips. I too recall seeing somehting along the lines yo mention, maybe there was an article in RS at some point.

For what it's worth, I have been thinking about cutting the middle of of my hatch and bolting on a sheet of acrylic/polycarbonate, to let more light in. I like your ide of a hatch in a hatch, with the added possibility for ventilation, although in practise you're generally either swinging to the wind, or if alongside, you can open either end or both to get air through.

hope that helps a little...

Toby

Nothing - absolute nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

http://sunflythesabre.wordpress.com

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 : 22:30:31
Hi Iain,

The raised opening and the hatch are curved athwartships which would preclude fitting directly as all modern hatches are, to my knowledge flat all round.

I have seen many new hatches fitted to Sabres but have no personal close experience myself, having a custom made cover in composite GRP/teak, sheathed to look like the 'standard' hatch. This is still in good nick and is sealed to be waterproof in all conditions I have yet encountered!!

Sorry I can't be more help,

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 : 21:42:56
OK thanks guys. I need to take some measurements but I think my favorite plan is a combination of teak strips as per the handbook, and the hatch in a hatch idea (a new Houdini came with the boat).

The hatch is not that curved, so with a bit of additional GRP it should not be too tricky to build up the mating surface to be a flat fit on the bottom of the new hatch.

Mike Jones
United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2010 : 11:52:06
Hi,
I have a houdini 500X500 fitted on Zenta, works a treat and solves all the security, light and access problems in one go. The slight curve in the deck was taken out with a hardwood surround bonded to the deck with sicaflex and bolted down.

regards Mike J
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================