Leaving my pontoon

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Leaving my pontoon

Post by Sabre27Admin »

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 : 21:39:21
Hi Everyone
My pontoon at Titchmash is on my port side and I'm pointing west, which means that with a fresh SW I have a problem leave dock singlehanded getting out before the bow gets blown onto the boat moored next to me. My prop walk is to port adding to the problem.
Its a fin keel so I have no backwards steerage untill I'm over 2knots.
I've thought of running a line through the bow hoop back to the cockpit, back through the hoop again and back to the cockpit again cleting off the bitter end. I could hold the end of the loop and release it pulling it back into the cockpit.
Would this work, or has anyone got any better ideas I could try.

Regards Ken

Edited by - kcalco on 19/09/2011 23:08:48
kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 : 23:21:50
Hi
I have just fond out what Subscribe to this topic actually means
So no need to reply to my PS
Regards Ken

jerryo
Ireland
70 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 : 22:29:16
Hi Ken
Not sure what you mean by "hoop".
if I have understood it correctly you will have rigged your bow line so you can control it as you reverse out of the berth. This is worth trying as the "to port" prop walk will keep the boat against the pontoon until just past the midship point then it will start to pull the stern to port.
when I had my sabre on a marina berth, the distance to the opposite pontoon was not good, with stern mounted large outboards waiting to bite lumps out of my stern/topsides, so i reversed with a burst of full throttle to gain enough speed to steer. It takes nerve and lucky for me it always worked.
I'm sure you have already done this but fenders on the starboard side from midships forward will give peace of mind.
Go for it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Jerry

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 : 23:29:24
Hi Jerryo

Hoops insead of cleats to tie moring lines to.
Yes have fenders on other side.
The problem comes when my pulpit is passing the stern of the boat next to me. It did clip it once but luckly with no damage.
I have not used full thotle yet, will give it a go.
In a SW wind by the time shes 1/2 way out shes at 30degs to the pontoon.
Regards Ken

jerryo
Ireland
70 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 : 00:49:59
The other thing to try is reversing into your berth. It's not too difficult, practice on a calm day and at slack water if there is a tide problem in the marina.Keep practicing until it feels the same as going in bow first. problem solved.

Jerry

rory7520
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 : 10:47:06
Hi Ken,

I totally agree with Jerry. If you are able to come alongside and get a rope to a shore cleat, you can then control your boat onto its pontoon with warps which will help defeat the steerage problem while reversing. When it's time to go, double up your shore lines and springs so you can easily slip them as you leave the pontoon. I had to do the same with a Nicholson 43 albeit with a few hands to help!

Rory

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 : 18:50:02
Hi

The other way round and I would get the SW straight into the cabin.
Looks like a starbard side birth would be my best option or find somebody to hold the bow line when i want to go out.
Yes, I will try doubling the lines and full reverse.

Many thanks. Ken

2E0YFO
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 : 18:56:34
Hi Ken,

I have experienced similar issues I find that while reversing a quick forward throttle helps correct to the desired direction, without majorly slowing speed. another thing to try!!

Malc.

boat:- hole in water you pour money into!

Latrigg. '89.

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 : 22:18:17
Hi
Yes good idea. I know my stern will shoot starboard with just a blip and starboard tiller.
I'm down on La Palourde shortly and will practice and report back.

I'm sure we have more SW winds to come!!!

Not on the internet at Titchmarsh although they have good WIFI there.

Many thank for all the replies Ken
If anybody is wondering where Kcalco comes from it my initials KC and Alco the firm i managed. retired now.

kcalco
United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 : 17:11:58
Hi

Yes burst of forewards shoots the stern to starboard and then to my surprise I had full backwards control.
Regards Ken
Thank you all for your suggtions.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================