Window Refurb

This forum is for members general information exchange. You must register with name and valid e-mail address before being able to post a message. Non members are welcome to make contact with us through this forum. Please don't include your personal contact details in your message.
Keith 66

Window Refurb

Post by Keith 66 »

Third time for Sabreuse's windows. When we bought her in 2010 her original alloy windows were very leaky & corroded & we replaced them with new ones around 2011-12.
We purchased new ones from Technautic at Burnham & they fitted well & have served well.
About 4 years ago we noticed the odd tiny weep from between the frame & glass, these got steadily worse & a couple of years ago i raked out the loose sealant & garmed it up with some polysulphide sealant. But it was just a sticking plaster & recently i decided to do the job properly.
Windows came out two days ago & i have started stripping them down.
They were originally assembled with black butyl rubber sealant but this has failed completely & in many places has simply broken into sections a few inches long allowing water in.
So we can say that windows of this type with this sealant have a max service life of about ten years before re sealing is required.
Not very long in the grand scheme of things!
I have decided to use Silicone rubber instead of the Butyl originally used.
Paradoxically the non setting butyl sealant used between the window to cabin moulding was still good & i will be using it again, not least because it comes apart easily when you need it to!
Keith 66

Re: Window Refurb

Post by Keith 66 »

And then i broke the last one......Just touched the edge of the glass on the vice & kaboom It exploded. Toughened glass does this if you are not careful!
So friday it was a trip out to Technautic at Burnham to give them a pattern for a new glass.