water tank

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

water tank

Post by Sabre27Admin »

n/a
4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 : 13:30:23
Our Sabre has a flexible water tank in the forepeak front locker,
triangluar in shape with an inlet, a vent and an outlet.

The tank is leaking along the seams and after 25 years has given up.

I need to replace and the Plastimo flexible tanks seem to fit the bill except that they do not appear to have a vent ?

Has anyone installed one of these or similar or has other recommendations ?

Thanks

Richard - TiggaToo, Titchmarsh
nickbd
United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 : 13:38:58 nickbd's nickbd's
Hi Richard,

I bought a couple of water tanks - one was Plastimo (for under the chart table berth), and another for the forepeak which was a different make (can't remember which one). I haven't got around to installing the forward tank yet because the stern tank does what we need, but I know that there is a bit of cutting to do on the forward tank before installing it - it came with rough instructions. I got the impression that it was standard practice to adapt the tanks to the boat's needs - next time I go down to the boat I'll have another look at the instructions and let you know if they're relevant.

Sorry - I just read that back and it doesn't seem as helpful as it sounded in my head!

==============
Nick B-D

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 : 19:45:57
Hi Richard,

If it lasted 25 years you did very well indeed!

We used Crewsaver tanks for many years with good results but they no longer manufacture. The only 'off the shelf' tanks that I know of are Plastimo. In early 2004 our tanks finally gave up the fight and we had to look for replacement. We put in a Plastimo triangular tank, which of course did not fit too well, thinking it would last the season at least giving us time to sort something permanent out.

Wrong, it failed after a couple of months!! When I checked it out, the interior bag was resembled a polythene shopping bag and had split on one of the folds caused by the inevitable poor fit of a 'standard' size. I was furious!

After some research we finally settled for HCL Ltd. http://www.duratank.com/. See also our Forum Tried and Tested Suppliers.

We had two tanks made to measure which give us a huge volume for Cruising and back-up. They were great people to deal with, the tanks and fittings are 100% quality and we had them fitted with their 'water protection system’. All still going strong as I write. Brilliant! You get what you pay for.

If you want more info give me a ring.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

Shamal
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 : 21:21:11
We also have a plastimo tank in the forepeak with no problems. It has no vent, but the trick is have the exit pipe to the pump at the top of the tank, then the pump removes all their air above the water. Thus no vent necesary and the water stays fresh longer.

Paul

I'm interested in putting another under the port quarter berth, to increase the capacity and correct the inevitable list to starboard. Do you use the same filler pipe with a Y valve?

Neil & Alison
'Shamal' - River Deben

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 : 07:53:44
Richard,

Fitted Triangular Plastimo Flex tank 2 weeks ago, I also wondered about the apparent lack of vent. However, fits nicely, fills and dispenses OK. The tank outer cover seems fairly hard wearing, however, I also put a thick "off cut" of vynyl underneath the tank to help prevent possible abrasive wear and tear from the fibreglass hull.

If you do get one shop around, prices vary!

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 : 13:04:52

Neil,

Yes, that is the best way to do it. You will have to put valves on each supply pipe to the pump if you want to draw separately from each tank. Pumping the air out can be an irritation.

sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 : 15:52:16
Hi all,
Reference our temporary Plastimo tank, my first reply was wrong! I had fitted this during the early part of the previous season just before the annual cruise and it was a rectangular pillow tank that was the 'best fit' that could be managed for the space available. There were folds around a couple of tight corners that could not be avoided.

The tank was left full over the next winter as normal and leaked when we filled it right up again, for the first time that year, two weeks before the annual cruise!

The moral is, with a tank like this make sure it is a reasonable fit and definately not scrunched up under pressure as I did, even for this relatively short time. Better too small for the space than too large. Do not fold the liner!

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 : 14:01:17
Hi Richard

You seem to have all the answers already but if it helps, we have the Plastimo triangular tank - no vents.

But as the water goes down so does the tank top - just remember to watch the sink as it will flow through when the tank is completely full!

Had this on my previous Alan Hill Cutlass and worked fine for 10+ years.

Chafe is chafe and obviously needs to be removed for long life.

joeschofield
19 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 : 11:20:16
Another thumbs-up for the 120 litre Plastimo triangular tank. Works fine without any vent. I've just replaced mine but the earlier one's demise was due to me me leaving it full and on board during last November's heavy frosts. Up till then it had lasted for 6 seasons.

n/a
4 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 : 15:09:00
i ended up going to Duratank for the replacement - very good service
and a high quality flexible tank has been custom made and delivered within 10 days - costly but it seems you get what you pay for

Richard Moore
Tigga Too
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================