Coachroof winching

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Coachroof winching

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 : 11:36:50
Things have really come on recently with Summer Girl and now it's time to think about improving the sail handling. I'd certainly like to be able to hoist/lower and if possible reef the main from the cockpit, and ideally lead the kite halyard and pole height back and I've been keeping my eyes out for a few bits to make this happen.

I'm really just after any pearls of wisdom from anyone who has already done this. I guess I need to bear the following in mind:

Tails, what works best where, so for example do I want the reefs on the same clutches/winch as the main halyard, or on the other side? I was just going to leave the genoa halyard at the mast base as it hardly gets adjusted...does this sound sensible?

Mounting hardware...it looks like the cabin headlining will have to come off, for winches and clutches. Any tips here?

I'm also at a bit of a loss of where to put the turning blocks at the mast base...should I be bolting on some padeyes to the deck, or getting some welding done on the tabernacle?

Reefing...my boom was one of those roller reefing types which was long ago converted to slab reefing. So it's a bit skinny...am I best off trying to fix a rams head hook for the tack or does the single line reefing system work OK with a skinny boom and everything up the outside?

I realise that there is probably no "right" or "wrong" way on any of this but any pearls of wisdom/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 : 23:56:13
Hello Iain,

Will try and answer some of the points.

Agree re genoa halyard cleat.

Best to remove the headlining to allow you to bolt securely. But in a few places this is difficult because of thickening and reinforcement of the fibreglass; I screwed the clutches into epoxy in a few places where I could not get a bolt through.

re turning blocks. I had the cleat like projections on the side of the tabernacle removed, and had a small stainless rail welded on both sides - works fine.

I cannot comment on reefing lines because I am using a (bizarre some might say) system called 'Easyroll' which is essentially a modern version of the old roller reefing, and works well most of the time.

Regards,

Geoff Packe (Cariona)

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 : 17:30:29
Thanks Geoff.

Stainless rail sounds the easiest. Do you know if there are any companies on the South coast who would do with this with the boat in the water, or is it a H&S nightmare?

Otherwise it will have to wait until next winter!

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2010 : 02:17:02
Hello Iain,

I was at the time that I had vitually deconstructed the boat (not quite to the extent that you have!). I took the tabernacle off in order to give it a good clean and replace the sealant. I am over in Essex and the steel working company that did it in Canvey Island only took about a week to complete the job. I don't see why it couldn't be done with the tabernacle still in situ, but I don't really know enough about welding to pass comment. I wouldn't like to hear that Summer Girl had gone up in flames.

Geoff
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================