Electrical wiring- General

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Electrical wiring- General

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 : 21:33:13
Another general question for all you who may have changed the wiring in their yachts. Mast is down at moment, thinking of taking opportunity to changing wiring ....I know all the good books etc say you must use "tinned" wiring, however with "modern" cable structure is this extra expense really necessary........or am I just being too cycical of marine suppliers prices !

Thanks Tony J
sabre27
178 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 : 00:14:47
Hi Tony,

In 1984 we rewired our mast using a 3core 1mm white round PVC sheathed normal domestic flex cable, for each of Masthead/Anchor and Steaming/Deck lights. Voltage drop is just acceptable provided the supply to the mast is adequate.

Conductors at both ends were carefully soldered before conecting into the plug and light fittings. Care has been taken to keep water out of these cables as they will corrode quickly, especially with any salt in the brew!!

Solder collapses and oxidises with age so you should nip up the securing screws, idealy once a year, to maintain a good contact! Mmmm.

We are still using the same cables to this day. It all depends on how well you do the installation, soldering, which is not without it's problems and waterproofing which is essential, and then there is still the maintenance!!!

Resoldering corroded copper wires ain't half difficult in situ!

All down to your skills, and then good fortune.

Paul Howard. S27OA Technical Officer.

P.S. A 30 foot length wieghs in quite a bit, secure well at the top.

Tony
56 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 : 06:11:04
Hi Paul,

Thanks for comprhensive reply, I guess most of the comments regarding connection integrity would apply to plain or tinned, but note comments on regular maintenance requirements. Food for thought.

Thanks again

Tony j

yerffoeg
United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 : 12:51:36
I did the same job a couple of years ago; the existing non-tinned wire had disintegrated. I think it is worth going the extra mile and paying for good quality wiring. Use replacement LED bulbs for the lights and then you don't have to worry so much about voltage drop. I prefer crimping to soldering as crimped joints are probably less prone to corrosion.

Geoff Packe
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================