Poles for poling

Posts that appeared in the original forum have been transferred here. It's worth searching them for answers - it's a goldmine.
Sabre27Admin
Site Admin

Poles for poling

Post by Sabre27Admin »

Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 : 17:10:20 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Topic Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Topic
looking for cheap solution to poling out the genoa, has anyone got any ideas? I can get hold of Alu tube easily from the stockists, what sort of size (diameter/thickness) would you go for for poling out the genoa? would a wodden pole be suitable or too heavy?

I gather from my rigger whisker poles are usually the same length as the foot of the sail. I assume it is lashed to the mast when not in use?

I supose the most difficult issue to resolve without going all comercial is end fittings - I was wondering if one could attach a caribine or snap shackle or maybea pelican hook to each end somehow. something like this (link following) seems like a good idea but if required much bigger the prices start to get a more off putting:
http://www.reliancemarine.com/Product/2 ... /View.aspx

thanks in advance

Toby

Nothing - absolute nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

http://sunflythesabre.wordpress.com
tokomaru111
United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 : 17:46:26
Hi, I think you will find a whisker pole can be much lighter than a Spinnaker pole, the loads incurred are much lighter, I would be happy with 1.5 to 2 inches diameter. Ron Walke, AZUL.

Iain C
United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 : 13:23:02
One of the projects lower down my "winter list" is a carbon fibre whisker pole made from a scrap RS800 mast. I will post pictures if I build it and it works!

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 : 15:35:39
We use a whisker pole made from 45x45mm softwood, planed to a circular section and fitted with two stainless end fittings. The length of the pole is such that the genoa is pulled almost flat when the pole is swung back against a forward inner shroud (exact measurement will therefore depend on the genoa). The inner end is clipped to a simple ring on the mast's forward track. The outer end used to clip on to one of the sheet bowlines at the clew, although that arrangement has now been modified (too complicated to explain). If conditions are wild, we roll in the sail to a small triangle when rigging or unrigging the pole; that eliminates the need for a topping lift or guys. The pole is startlingly effective when used to extend the genoa on the leeward side, when broad reaching - it produces enormous power and reduces weather helm when riding over swell. We broke one pole when using this arrangement to keep pace with a much larger yacht, after winding in the sheet and bending the pole against the shroud as the apparent wind crept forward. At least, the replacement was very cheap! The pole also keeps things (fairly) civilised when running goose-winged in a strong wind.

Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 : 12:05:50 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
Thanks guys, some food for thought there. We've now left on the grand adventure so it'll be trickier to source bits than at home, but maybe something will present itself.

Ken, could you tell me/us what sort of end fittings you used? I have an eye on a track on the front of my mast already which is good, and now have a storm jib halyard that could serve as a topping lift. We're stuck in Milford Haven at the moment with force 6/7 outside, and about to look in the chandlery so might find something useful there!

Thanks

Toby

Nothing - absolute nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

ken endean
United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 : 15:47:40
Fittings were stainless -possibly by RWO but I cannot check until I next go on board- and were designed to secure on timber. I can't find them in any current catalogue but any fitting should be OK, provided it can be fixed on to your pole material. On an earlier boat, I made a simple telescopic pole with concentric alloy tubes and a drop-nose pin through drilled holes. No need to decide on the exact length!

Sunfly
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 : 15:56:14 Sunfly's Homepage Edit Reply Reply with Quote View user's IP address Delete Reply
thanks ken

that exact design had occured to me too, but again which end fittings! It's probably a bit too far down the list of priorities now...

I wish it wasn't raining quite so hard in Milford :(

NPMR
United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 : 18:40:46
We simply use the spinnaker pole but without the downhaul and placed between the cap shroud and the smaller inner forestay. I guess the length must be right (at about 3 metres) but it allows us to bring the (furling) genoa back far enough, which dramtically controls the sail downwind and keeps the speed up. We use this system when it's blowing harder; otherwise, we use the spinnaker.
=====================
Webmaster
http://sabre27.org.uk
=====================